Old 25-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Registered User

Default Burning wood in the house

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks
Old 25-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordief View Post
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks
Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive, especially when burnt wet.
Old 26-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccabunga View Post
Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive, especially when burnt wet.
thanks
well that's a pity....
Old 26-10-2009, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
beccabunga wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2009, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
beccabunga wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:
Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand upwind
from it.

Spider

Old 26-10-2009, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand upwind
from it.

Really? That sounds most implausible. Hydrogen cyanide is extremely
flammable, with a flash point of -17.78 degrees Celsius and an
autoignition temperature of only 538 degrees Celsius.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

Obviously, don't burn it under circumstances where you might be at
risk from carbon monoxide, because hydrogen cyanide is even more
toxic, but LOTS of the Rosaceae contain quite a lot of cyanides
and Prunus laurocerasus isn't as extreme as people think. Every
time I shred my Cotoneaster franchetti, there is a strong smell
of bitter almonds, for example :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2009, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a boiler so I don't heat my home with wood but I do have a fire
place. I use a duralog for the fire place cause it has special crystals
inside the log that burn different colors.

Old 26-10-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
beccabunga

We have a woodburner and, on order, a wood burning Aga type cooker.
We burn mostly oak, seasoned at least 2 years, it burns well and no
sparks. We also burn frene and some pine as we have a lot of pine
beams over 150 years old from the barn. We had the roof replaced as
it was infested with Capricorne. This pine doesn't spark but I doubt
there is any resin left in it after all this time.

Judith
Old 26-10-2009, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

Oak is very dense, so burns slowly so presumably that keeps a fire in a
long time and other stuff gingers it up? Some old wooden mantles were
made of oak because it was so hard to set alight easily. We don't
have a wood burner but when the Aga dies and it must be around 50 to 60
years old, we're certainly not getting another one at those prices!
--
Sacha

Old 26-10-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Spider wrote:

Also be very careful that you don't burn laurel (the prunus type) indoors.
It gives off cyanide fumes, as it will in the garden so always stand
upwind
from it.

Really? That sounds most implausible. Hydrogen cyanide is extremely
flammable, with a flash point of -17.78 degrees Celsius and an
autoignition temperature of only 538 degrees Celsius.

It is, as you know, a well-documented fact that laurel (prunus laurocerasus)
contains hydrogen cyanide. When put on a domestic fire - indoors or
outdoors - it will usually smoulder for some time before catching fire.
Certainly, when the cyanide gas catches fire, it will be burnt off, but
until then it will rise in the warm air and disperse. Outdoors, one can
stand upwind and hope to avoid it but, I for one would not want to risk
breathing that contaminated air indoors in a confined space. Unfortunately,
my ex-fireman father is not available for a couple of days, but I will
discuss this with him when next we speak.
It is just possible that being brought up as the daughter of a fireman, I am
a little paranoid :~), but I would rather be paranoid than dead.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguide...cognition.html

Obviously, don't burn it under circumstances where you might be at
risk from carbon monoxide, because hydrogen cyanide is even more
toxic, but LOTS of the Rosaceae contain quite a lot of cyanides
and Prunus laurocerasus isn't as extreme as people think. Every
time I shred my Cotoneaster franchetti, there is a strong smell
of bitter almonds, for example :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks for the link, btw, most interesting.

Spider

Old 26-10-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

It is, as you know, a well-documented fact that laurel (prunus laurocerasus)
contains hydrogen cyanide. When put on a domestic fire - indoors or
outdoors - it will usually smoulder for some time before catching fire.
Certainly, when the cyanide gas catches fire, it will be burnt off, but
until then it will rise in the warm air and disperse. Outdoors, one can
stand upwind and hope to avoid it but, I for one would not want to risk
breathing that contaminated air indoors in a confined space. Unfortunately,
my ex-fireman father is not available for a couple of days, but I will
discuss this with him when next we speak.

As I said, that holds for most of the Rosaceae, and in particular
most of the Prunus genus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-10-2009, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 Nick Maclaren wrote:

Can anyone tell me if when wood will spark and when it won't?
I mean I (think I ) know that burning resiny wood causes sparks.
And I also know that damp wood will cause sparks.
But what about bone-dry resiny wood(ie pine etc).Could that be safe?
My first impression is that sparking is greatly reduced but I am still
wary.
Any one have first hand experience here?
thanks

Any wood from pines or firs will/can spark, whether wet or dry. The
other one to watch for is willow, which is particularly explosive,
especially when burnt wet.

And poplar.

And mulberry. It's quite spectacular.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 27-10-2009, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 26, 5:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 10:43:17 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

be careful you don't melt the bars.
--

Martin

What bars :-)

Judith
Old 27-10-2009, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-26 17:43:17 +0000, Judith in France

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

The oak we burn is very dry, it doesn't just slumber away, cut to the
correct size it burns at a steady rate. When the oven needs to come
up to temperature, my neighbour tells me that it will need to be mixed
with a lighter wood. Agas certainly are a price, so is Godin but they
are supposed to last a lifetime. Even secondhand these monsters fetch
a good price.

Judith
Old 27-10-2009, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
geordief;867856 Wrote:

[...]

I'm burning 19 Century roofing lathes at the moment as kindling and
they spark amazingly. (It's in a wood burner.)

Jonathan