Old 29-10-2009, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhododendrons and rusty things

Is the iron beneficial to rhododendrons in rusting objects like nails?
Just curious, I had a handful of rusty nails and rather than putting
them in the rubbish wondered if such plants would benefit from them
being scattered at the base?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 29-10-2009, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Is the iron beneficial to rhododendrons in rusting objects like nails?
Just curious, I had a handful of rusty nails and rather than putting them
in the rubbish wondered if such plants would benefit from them being
scattered at the base?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Apparently it does help. I had always thought one could only use a chelated
iron product, but my book of garden wisdom and old tips suggests iron nails
for blueing hydrangeas. I'm sure it works better if buried beneath the
plant, but there surely must be some benefit from mulching with them. Have
a go.

Spider

Old 29-10-2009, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Is the iron beneficial to rhododendrons in rusting objects like nails?
Just curious, I had a handful of rusty nails and rather than putting them
in the rubbish wondered if such plants would benefit from them being
scattered at the base?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Apparently it does help. I had always thought one could only use a
chelated iron product, but my book of garden wisdom and old tips suggests
iron nails for blueing hydrangeas. I'm sure it works better if buried
beneath the plant, but there surely must be some benefit from mulching
with them. Have a go.

Spider

I chucked a handful of Iron Sulphate around the base of some rather
chlorotic camellias. All looked much better the next year.

--
Jeff