Old 20-11-2009, 09:56 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

Default tree lilies

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Peter" wrote ...
Hello, my mum recently gave me some tree lilly bulbs that she bought from
a catalogue, she had to wait several months for them to arrive as they
are only sent out when they are ready. When I got them they all had
sprouted so I followed the advice I was given and planted them in large
ish containers about six inches below the surface outdoors. They have
sprouted out of the surface and I'm wondering what will happen when the
frosts arrive. I live in southeast UK and we have relativly mild winters
(my giant rhubarb has survived 3 years with no mulching) Does everyone
think they will be ok, or do I need to protect them somehow?

You'll find everyone on the newsgroup "uk.rec.gardening". Suggest you ask
on there.
I assume you are talking about Cardiocrinum giganteum or C cordatum?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I got given 9 bulbs, no latin names and some basic planting instuctions, the
leaflet says they're tree lilies, from some firm called thompson & morgan.

Old 20-11-2009, 10:32 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter
writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

They appear to be Lilium. (One Oriental lily, and two Oriental-Trumpet
hybrids.)

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plants1/product/p86104
http://www.tandmpics.com/res/pdf/pre...e-lily0908.pdf
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-11-2009, 10:48 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Peter" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" replied
[...]

So this is what you have...
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plant.../p86104/1.html

and I found this which includes a lot more information...
http://www.gardenrant.com/my_weblog/...ly-tree-t.html

so a cross between Oriental and Trumpet lilies, not the tall Cardiocrinum at
all.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-11-2009, 11:04 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

In that case they should not be sprouting now, they should be like my
lilies, dormant underground.
I think it would be best for you to keep them somewhere protected from the
worst of the cold until spring. Next season they should go dormant and can
be left out unprotected without worry, at least mine are and some of them
have been in the garden for many years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-11-2009, 08:11 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the help. Funny thing is when they were recieved they already had
sprouted, thompson-morgan send them out like that. I dont know how I'm going
to protect them from the first frosts as they are already a couple of inches
out the compost, I got no green house and live in a tiny flat,

Old 21-11-2009, 01:16 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Peter" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

I assume you're growing them on a balcony since you're living in a flat,
otherwise you wouldn't be worrying about frost. Because they've sprouted, I
think they will need some protection, even though they're normally hardy
perennial bulbs. Put them as close to the building as possible and, when
frost is forecast, put some horticultural fleece (or old net curtains) over
them. It you put three or four canes around the edge of the pot to drape
the fleece over, it will give slightly better protection. If your flat is
high up and the balcony is at all windy, you will need to tie the fleece in
place.

In the summer, you will need to watch out for Red Lily Beetles, which will
(together with their larvae) decimate your plant. Worse still, if the
adult has recently chomped on a virussed lily, that virus will pass into
your plant ... then it's a throw-away job :~(. I suggest you google on Red
Lily Beetle so you know what you're looking for. Slugs and snails should be
less of a problem, but if you know they can reach your balcony, protect your
lillies with pellets or similar remedy.

Last winter I was given some lillies that had already sprouted. They grew,
if a little weakly, but certainly didn't flower. Because yours are more
robust, you may be lucky. Whatever they manage during growth, there will
come a time when they naturally die back. All the energy and foodstuffs in
the green part of the plant should be allowed to die back naturally, as this
feeds the bulb ready for the next season's growth. Only when that growth is
yellow should you cut away the stem. One last tip: don't over-water.
Lilies *hate* sitting in wet soil; it rots their basal plate, which is where
the roots grow.

Spider

Old 21-11-2009, 02:03 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote...

[...]

Excellent advice and I might add that they prefer acid soils, which is why I
can grow them very well out on our allotment, so Ericaceous compost would be
best. They can stay in the same compost for a few years IME but do feed them
well in the growing season to build up the strength for flowering the
following year.
As Spider says, those Lily Beetles are a pain but at least they are bright
red, the larvae cover themselves with their own excreta so look for lumps of
dark brown bird droppings under the leaves. You have to look daily or more
they work fast. I must admit having lost a lot of plants in the past despite
being vigilant I now spray as a matter of course. Still can't grow Madonna's
though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-11-2009, 08:53 AM posted to england.rec.gardening,uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

Thankyou for the good advice