Old 13-12-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Shanghai plant

We got back from China last week, (from what should have been the
holiday of a lifetime) just 2 weeks late as the wife was in hospital
there for 3 weeks, but that's another story.
In the Hotel I was put up in they had a large bed of what looked like
a small iris type plant, when a piece fell off just before I returned
home I found it had a small flower stem from the base, Not iris.
Any ideas as to what it is?
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...haiPlant01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nghaiPlant.jpg
David Hill
Old 13-12-2009, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 07:43:46 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

We got back from China last week, (from what should have been the
holiday of a lifetime) just 2 weeks late as the wife was in hospital
there for 3 weeks, but that's another story.
In the Hotel I was put up in they had a large bed of what looked like
a small iris type plant, when a piece fell off just before I returned
home I found it had a small flower stem from the base, Not iris.
Any ideas as to what it is?
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...haiPlant01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nghaiPlant.jpg
David Hill

I've no idea about the plant David, but I hope your wife is fully
recovered now. What an unplanned extra holiday you had! Best wishes.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-12-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uzytkownik "Dave Hill" napisal w wiadomosci
We got back from China last week, (from what should have been the
holiday of a lifetime) just 2 weeks late as the wife was in hospital
there for 3 weeks, but that's another story.
In the Hotel I was put up in they had a large bed of what looked like
a small iris type plant, when a piece fell off just before I returned
home I found it had a small flower stem from the base, Not iris.
Any ideas as to what it is?

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...haiPlant01.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...nghaiPlant.jpg
David Hill

Reineckea?

Regards, Barbara.

Old 14-12-2009, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 13 Dec, 22:43, "Basia" wrote:
Uzytkownik "Dave Hill" napisal w ... We got back from China last week, (from what should have been the
holiday of a lifetime) just 2 weeks late as the wife was in hospital
there for 3 weeks, but that's another story.
In the Hotel I was put up in they had a large bed of what looked like
a small iris type plant, when a piece fell off just before I returned
home I found it had a small flower stem from the base, Not iris.
Any ideas as to what it is?

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...202009/?action...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...202009/Shangha...

David Hill

Reineckea?

Regards, Barbara.

Thanks Bartbara, it looks as if that may be it though the pictures I
have found show a pale flower. It is certainly a plant native to a
large part of china,
It must have quite a scent or why do they have a bed of around 30ft
long and around 15ft at its widest?
David Hill