GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with turf ashes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189030-help-turf-ashes.html)

Cat(h) 07-01-2010 05:22 PM

Help with turf ashes

Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Caít()

Spider[_2_] 07-01-2010 05:41 PM

Help with turf ashes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Caít()

I'm not sure I would want to mulch with it, because it can form an
impervious 'pan' on the surface. However, you could dig it in or add it to
your compost heap. If you're worried about its effect on the soil, mix a
little of it with water and do a Ph test.

Spider

Broadback[_2_] 07-01-2010 07:03 PM

Help with turf ashes

Spider wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Spider[_2_] 07-01-2010 09:15 PM

Help with turf ashes

"Broadback" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Excellent idea! Not that I'd want to clean the carpets afterwards :~(

Spider

Cat(h) 07-01-2010 10:56 PM

Help with turf ashes

On Jan 7, 9:15*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

Spider wrote:
*wrote in message
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. *NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Ca t()

I'm not sure I would want to mulch with it, because it can form an
impervious 'pan' on the surface. *However, you could dig it in or add it
your compost heap. *If you're worried about its effect on the soil, mix a
little of it with water and do a Ph test.

Spider

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Excellent idea! *Not that I'd want to clean the carpets afterwards :~(

Spider- Hide quoted text -

You took the words out of my mouth :-)
Thanks to you both for your suggestions, I think I'll consider the
digging in.
I love the snow and all, but at this stage, I wish we were back to
normal :-(

Caít()

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 08-01-2010 01:09 AM

Help with turf ashes

Cat(h) wrote:
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!

Rather depends where you are. While living in the 'country' on the Isle
of Lewis, we used to spread its ash (fàd mhòine, not briquettes) on the
lazy beds - but then, there were several acres of those.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 08-01-2010 01:11 AM

Help with turf ashes

Broadback wrote:

/snip/

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

As an aid to slipping, more like - wet, it has the consistency of clay...

--
Rusty

Gill Smith 08-01-2010 12:14 PM

Help with turf ashes

best place to keep warm is a compost heap

hollow out a space, set the alarm clock for 'Spring', et voila!

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/