Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help with turf ashes

Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Caít()
Old 07-01-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Caít()

I'm not sure I would want to mulch with it, because it can form an
impervious 'pan' on the surface. However, you could dig it in or add it to
your compost heap. If you're worried about its effect on the soil, mix a
little of it with water and do a Ph test.

Spider

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Spider wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Excellent idea! Not that I'd want to clean the carpets afterwards :~(

Spider

Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 7, 9:15*pm, "Spider" wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message

Spider wrote:
*wrote in message
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. *NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!
TIA
Ca t()

I'm not sure I would want to mulch with it, because it can form an
impervious 'pan' on the surface. *However, you could dig it in or add it
your compost heap. *If you're worried about its effect on the soil, mix a
little of it with water and do a Ph test.

Spider

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.

Excellent idea! *Not that I'd want to clean the carpets afterwards :~(

Spider- Hide quoted text -

You took the words out of my mouth :-)
Thanks to you both for your suggestions, I think I'll consider the
digging in.
I love the snow and all, but at this stage, I wish we were back to
normal :-(

Caít()

Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
Hello, and a very Happy New Year to all here!
While it is not quite as severe as what many of you in the UK seem to
be experiencing at the moment, we here are having the worst cold snap
in 30 years, with plenty icy roads and snow.
Which means we are having a lot more fires in the fireplace, which
means we have more ashes to dispose of. NOw, I know this question is
asked regularly about timber ashes, but what we burn in our fireplace
is turf, or turf briquettes (peat, to some of you).
Could I use this to mulch the garden, ornamental and veg patch (just
as soon as the snow and ice melt, whenever that is)?
HOping that not too many of you are snowbound or too severely affected
by the longest cold snap ever - which is surely a contradiction in
terms!

Rather depends where you are. While living in the 'country' on the Isle
of Lewis, we used to spread its ash (fàd mhòine, not briquettes) on the
lazy beds - but then, there were several acres of those.

--
Rusty
Old 08-01-2010, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

/snip/

Use it in place of sand to prevent slipping.

As an aid to slipping, more like - wet, it has the consistency of clay...

--
Rusty
Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

best place to keep warm is a compost heap

hollow out a space, set the alarm clock for 'Spring', et voila!

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport Edible Gardening 8 21-03-2006 09:03 AM
Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport United Kingdom 6 13-02-2006 08:57 AM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Turf on Turf Mike P. United Kingdom 1 22-06-2003 11:20 AM
Ashes to ashes Nelson Kirsch Gardening 2 16-05-2003 04:08 PM