Old 19-01-2010, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Vanilla Orchid

I got a vanilla orchid for Christmas. It is ... looking a little unhappy.
Does anyone here have any experience and advice on how to chirp it up a
little?

(so far I've mostly been treating it like any other orchid - except a little
better than the dendrobium that I left in the spare room over Christmas and
totally forgot about, which is now beyond repair *sob*)

Old 19-01-2010, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vicky wrote...
I got a vanilla orchid for Christmas. It is ... looking a little unhappy.
Does anyone here have any experience and advice on how to chirp it up a
little?

(so far I've mostly been treating it like any other orchid - except a
little
better than the dendrobium that I left in the spare room over Christmas
and
totally forgot about, which is now beyond repair *sob*)

We have one hanging in our bathroom that is slowly taking over. It's about
2ft from a S. facing window in the warmest and most humid room in the house
(heated towel rail) and is watered with rain water at room temp 2 or 3 times
a week until it pours out the bottom. Fertilizer is applied as recommended
for houseplants.
Just about the easiest orchid I've ever had, it has doubled in size.
BTW I don't think it likes being dry at all.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

vicky wrote...
[...]

I would second that, mine's in the bathroom, hanging from the shower rail,
and it just grows and grows, in a random sort of way. I water and feed it
from time to time. I have also managed to take "cuttings" and get them
started too. In the summer I hang it outdoors from a tree.

I'd just love to know if this orchid will ever flower, and how I could get
it to do this, even if I don't have the right kind of bats for pollination.

It is a very sprawling untidy orchid.

someone

Vanilla Orchid Cuttings? chaz Orchids 3 04-08-2005 04:46 PM
Terrarium - Vanilla orchid?? chaz Gardening 2 04-08-2005 07:44 AM
Terrarium - Vanilla Orchid? chaz Orchids 2 03-08-2005 10:03 PM
iso Vanilla orchid Ptonyc Orchids 2 24-01-2005 07:02 PM
Vanilla orchid Buy ramp Orchids 2 18-12-2004 09:50 PM