GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   leaf drop (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/189301-leaf-drop.html)

solaara 26-01-2010 07:16 PM

leaf drop

I have a coprosma (mirror plant) which I bought last year..After the recent cold snap and heavy snow, all the leaves turned grey and fell off..I pruned a branch near the bottom and it was still green...Is it likely to die?... I have now got it inside..I live in Kent uk..

Pam Moore[_2_] 26-01-2010 10:34 PM

leaf drop

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:16:21 -0500, solaara
wrote:

I have a coprosma (mirror plant) which I bought last year..After the
recent cold snap and heavy snow, all the leaves turned grey and fell
off..I pruned a branch near the bottom and it was still green...Is it
likely to die?... I have now got it inside..I live in Kent uk..

The only coprosma I have encountered was definitely not hardy and
would have had to be indoors in winter.

Pam in Bristol

Spider[_2_] 26-01-2010 10:48 PM

leaf drop

--
solaara

I wish I could be more hopeful, but I lost mine the previous year in similar
circumstances. Great shame, because it's an attractive foliage plant, but
mine went down hill so fast I hadn't the heart to replace it :~(.

Good luck with yours. If you manage to save it, perhaps you'll come back
and tell us how you did it :~).

Spider

solaara 27-01-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet Baraclough (Post 875843)

Thanks for all the help and advice..I will try to save it and let you know....solaara

echinosum 27-01-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solaara (Post 875801)
I have a coprosma (mirror plant) which I bought last year..After the recent cold snap and heavy snow, all the leaves turned grey and fell off..I pruned a branch near the bottom and it was still green...Is it likely to die?... I have now got it inside..I live in Kent uk..

There are quite a lot of Coprosmas of various kinds growing outdoors at the Savile Gardens in Windsor Park, in their New Zealand garden. There are one or two gaps where some plants didn't survive last winter, but very few really. So plainly there are several Coprosmas that can survive that kind of weather quite OK, though they may defoliate.