Old 24-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Default Lightening clay soil for lavender: How?

I have a narrow (15" wide and 8 foot long) bed immediately alongside the front of a new conservatory, edged by paver path.

I want to put lavender in it. The soil level is fairly low so I can add to it: I don't think the bed's ever been used by the prev. owner.

The soil seems OK- it isn't builder's rubble! But it seems a bit on the heavy side as is a lot in the rest of the garden.

Do I dig out a foot, mix it with- what?- and return it?

Sand?
Grit?
Compost?

I have been given 12 small lavendar plants so though I understand the 'plant something else' concept, I want to exhaust the lavender possibilities first!
Old 24-03-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"downholme" wrote

I have a narrow (15" wide and 8 foot long) bed immediately alongside the
front of a new conservatory, edged by paver path.

I want to put lavender in it. The soil level is fairly low so I can add
to it: I don't think the bed's ever been used by the prev. owner.

The soil seems OK- it isn't builder's rubble! But it seems a bit on the
heavy side as is a lot in the rest of the garden.

Do I dig out a foot, mix it with- what?- and return it?

Sand?
Grit?
Compost?

I have been given 12 small lavendar plants so though I understand the
'plant something else' concept, I want to exhaust the lavender
possibilities first!

For Lavender I trust the bed is in full sun.
Dig in sand/grit to aid drainage if the soil is clay. That said usually a
bed next to building tends to the dry side anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
excellent drainage (are) essential.
I grow lavender in clay soils without any improvement. But in locations which are kept pretty dry. At my previous house the soil was alkaline clay with flints. But the lavender was grown in very dry location, alongside a concrete drive, and raised up above next door's lawn.

At my present house, where I have a low lavender hedge along the front of the main laurel hedge, the soil is far from ideal for them, but they grow fine, have to be kept under control with hedge clippers. Most of my garden has a foot or so of light sandy loam above the clay-with-flints subsoil, but where the hedge is, the layer of loam is practically absent. But, again, it is a pretty dryish location. It is somewhat raised up above the lawn behind the hedge, and has a tarmac footway alongside it.

I don't know why lavender plants are so expensive in garden centres, I found them easy to raise from a packet of seeds. I suppose it is generally second year plants that they sell, so they have had to pot them on and keep them over the winter. Does that make them cost a fiver?
Old 25-03-2010, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

echinosum wrote:

;881310']excellent drainage (are) essential.