Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cucumber problems

Hello,

I have been growing 3 cucumber plants from seed, 2 of them have suddenly
died & I'm not sure why.

I grew them in 3" pots in an electric propagator in the g'house and they
were quite OK. About 10 days ago I moved them into 5" pots (out of the
propagator) & they seemed quite happy.

They had reached about 9" high, about 5 large leaves each. About 3 days ago,
2 of them died suddenly. Their leaves drooped quite dramatically & if not
for the small cane the whole plant would have keeled over. I brought them
indoors where it is warmer, but there was no improvement.

The weather had turned suddenly colder, but the g'house has a heater with a
frost stat. which keeps it at about 5C minumim.

It is tempting to blame the cold, but I had the same problem last year,
later in the season, after I had transplanted from 5" pots to large tubs.
The weather was much warmer then.

Anybody got any ideas what I did wrong. ??

Thanks

KK

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2 Apr, 12:27, "dido22" wrote:
[...]

My first thought is to cold for them, then I wonder if they were wet
as well.
You dont sat what kind they were, but as you were only growing 3 I
suspect they were a hybrid variety, they like it a lot warmer than 5c,
20c would be more to their liking, which is probably what it was in
the propagator.
David Hill
Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I agree, except that I had the same problem last year, later in the season,
when the weather was warmer

Yes, I watered them well after transplanting, and I also suspect 'cold wet
feet'

KK

Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 2 Apr, 12:27, "dido22" wrote:
[...]

It's unlikely, but the symptoms sound very like root damage - vine
weevil, perhaps.

I wouldn't have thought they'd have had the time to get to that stage -
however, tip out the pots on a sheet of paper and see if there are any
little white grubs amongst the roots.

--
Rusty