GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Volcanic Dust (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190821-volcanic-dust.html)

Mike Lyle 18-04-2010 11:27 PM

Volcanic Dust

wrote:
In article ,
hugh wrote:

It is enforced medication without choice. If people didn't feed
their kids such obnoxious confectionery there would be no need for
it.

You're wrong.

Most people of my age have bad teeth, and the lack of fluorides was
one of the main causes. Many of us had virtually no access to
sweets. The introduction to fluorine to toothpaste (yes, I got
that wrong) caused a major improvement.

Not knowing what age you are I can't really respond. Did you not have
access to anything containing sugar?

In my 60s. And effectively not.

True; but for quite a few there was also the menace of pirate dentists,
who did far more probing and drilling than proper professional practice
would allow. There were at one stage, I'm ashamed to report as an
Antiponder, enough crooked Australian dentists in the UK to produce a
feature known as "the Australian trench": these specimens would drill
straight along the middle of a row of teeth, fill 'em up, and charge the
Health Authority for that many fillings. To add i to i, they would then
scarper back to Aus without paying their Income Tax.

--
Mike.