GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bumpy lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/190886-bumpy-lawn.html)

dido22 18-04-2010 02:53 PM

bumpy lawn

Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly ploughed
field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ). No
good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by the
buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

KK

Muddymike 18-04-2010 05:58 PM

bumpy lawn

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a
newly ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with
water/gravel ). No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years,
a mix of sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil'
added by the builders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I don't want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the
clay.

Help & advice please ?????

I have just levelled out some big dips in our front lawn. I
filled them with soil and re-seeded, the seed is now coming up
nicely. It took two trailer loads of topsoil mind.

Mike

pied piper 18-04-2010 07:05 PM

bumpy lawn

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly ploughed
field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ). No
good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by
the buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

rolling wont level it you need to dress and seed the low area avoid compost
and sharp sand use a 60 40 sand soil mixture also before this scarify
heavily several ways to bring the higher areas down

Gopher 18-04-2010 10:24 PM

bumpy lawn

In message , Muddymike
writes

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a
newly ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with
water/gravel ). No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years,
a mix of sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil'
added by the builders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I don't want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the
clay.

Help & advice please ?????

I have just levelled out some big dips in our front lawn. I
filled them with soil and re-seeded, the seed is now coming up
nicely. It took two trailer loads of topsoil mind.

Mike

I think that's the only way to solve the problem .... unless moving all
the mounds to bring all to the lowest level is more practical :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

dido22 20-04-2010 01:17 PM

bumpy lawn