Old 18-04-2010, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bumpy lawn

Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly ploughed
field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ). No
good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by the
buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

KK

Old 18-04-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a
newly ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with
water/gravel ). No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years,
a mix of sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil'
added by the builders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I don't want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the
clay.

Help & advice please ?????

I have just levelled out some big dips in our front lawn. I
filled them with soil and re-seeded, the seed is now coming up
nicely. It took two trailer loads of topsoil mind.

Mike

Old 18-04-2010, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly ploughed
field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ). No
good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by
the buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

rolling wont level it you need to dress and seed the low area avoid compost
and sharp sand use a 60 40 sand soil mixture also before this scarify
heavily several ways to bring the higher areas down

Old 18-04-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a
newly ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with
water/gravel ). No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years,
a mix of sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil'
added by the builders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I don't want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the
clay.

Help & advice please ?????

I have just levelled out some big dips in our front lawn. I
filled them with soil and re-seeded, the seed is now coming up
nicely. It took two trailer loads of topsoil mind.

Mike

I think that's the only way to solve the problem .... unless moving all
the mounds to bring all to the lowest level is more practical :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 20-04-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

try hire a scarifyer if poss the more powerful the better

"pied piper" wrote in message

"dido22" wrote in message
Hi

My lawn is bumpy! When I mow the grass it is like mowing a newly
ploughed field.

I tried a roller for the first few years ( filled with water/gravel ).
No good

I have tried top dressing, every summer for the last few years, a mix of
sharp sand & compost. No good.

The soil where I live is clay, with a few inches of 'topsoil' added by
the buliders. (It is beautiful clay, creamy, heavy)

I use an electric rotary mower.

I dont want to use a rotavator, it will just bring up the clay.

Help & advice please ?????

rolling wont level it you need to dress and seed the low area avoid
compost and sharp sand use a 60 40 sand soil mixture also before this
scarify heavily several ways to bring the higher areas down

Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM
How to smooth a bumpy lawn? Owen Lowe Lawns 8 13-06-2003 01:08 PM
Bumpy Lawn Mr G United Kingdom 5 19-04-2003 07:32 AM
Bumpy lawn+lots of moss!! john fraser United Kingdom 5 24-03-2003 04:32 PM
Bumpy lawn Bazza United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 11:44 AM