Old 21-04-2010, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Canna

My Cannas, mostly in pots are showing no signs of life.
When do Cannas normally get going after winter, they are the stripey bronze
sort. (well they were!)
I'm wondering if I've given them enough time before writing them off which
is imminent.

mark

Old 21-04-2010, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote...

My Cannas, mostly in pots are showing no signs of life.
When do Cannas normally get going after winter, they are the stripey
bronze sort. (well they were!)
I'm wondering if I've given them enough time before writing them off which
is imminent.

Depends how warm you are keeping them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-04-2010, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

My Cannas, mostly in pots are showing no signs of life.
When do Cannas normally get going after winter, they are the stripey
bronze sort. (well they were!)
I'm wondering if I've given them enough time before writing them off which
is imminent.

mark

What area do you live in? Were the pots protected from frost in the winter?

From your description, you have Canna 'Tropicana' (correctly 'Tropicanna').
Unless you live in a favoured spot, it is possible they have suffered from
the severe weather. However, it is worth waiting until early June to see if
anything is alive. You can always take the rhizomes out of the pots and
examine them. If they are soft and mushy, they've had it. If they are
still hard, it is possible they've survived.

--

Jeff

Old 21-04-2010, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message

My Cannas, mostly in pots are showing no signs of
life.
When do Cannas normally get going after winter, they
are the stripey bronze sort. (well they were!)
I'm wondering if I've given them enough time before
writing them off which is imminent.

My two Cannas show no signs of life yet (planted in
border). The cold nights are holding it back. I won't
expect to see signs of life for another month.

Wet Summer of '08 here in Cornwall, the flowers failed
to open. I wouldn't write yours off yet.

Old 22-04-2010, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

My Cannas, mostly in pots are showing no signs of life.
When do Cannas normally get going after winter, they are the stripey
bronze sort. (well they were!)
I'm wondering if I've given them enough time before writing them off which
is imminent.

mark

They were kept in a polytunnel in pots over winter. There is no sign of
life. I have taken one out of its pot and still can see no sign of life.
The rhizomes appear solid. So maybe there is hope yet!

mark

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna Tropicanna question(s) tom Gardening 1 08-02-2003 02:06 AM
Canna 4 Sale Starlord Gardening 2 06-02-2003 03:49 PM
New Canna for Spring Starlord Gardening 0 28-01-2003 04:23 PM
Canna Starlord Gardening 0 26-01-2003 05:52 AM