GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dandelions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191057-dandelions.html)

andy[_4_] 24-04-2010 01:33 PM

Dandelions

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Gopher 24-04-2010 01:42 PM

Dandelions

In message , andy
writes
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

a) Nip the flower heads off before they set seed
b) Dig them up and get as much of the root as you can. There's a simple
special little tool for lifting out this type of weed.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

®óñ© © ²°¹° 24-04-2010 01:45 PM

Dandelions

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

~Brian~ 24-04-2010 02:23 PM

Dandelions

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

The younger laeves are quite nice in salad! But to get rid I personally use
a spot lawn weeder.

graham 24-04-2010 05:58 PM

Dandelions

"andy" wrote in message
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Harsh winters won't affect them! Here, in western Canada, the grass dies
back over winter and most of my lawn is brown atm. However, this gives the
dandelions a head start in the spring. They are regarded as a pest here and
if you don't keep them under control and someone complains, the city will
come and cut your lawn and charge you a hefy fee/fine for doing it.
However, they can't keep their own lands under control and the boulevards
will soon be a mass of bright yellow followed a few days later by carpets of
unsightly seed heads. Weed 'n' Feed is not easy to find now and there is a
hairshirted alderman who wants to ban 2-4-D. The answer may be one of
these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...300,44822&ap=1

Graham

Dave Hill 24-04-2010 06:24 PM

Dandelions

On 24 Apr, 17:58, "graham" wrote:
"andy" wrote in message

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Harsh winters won't affect them! *Here, in western Canada, the grass dies
back over winter and most of my lawn is brown atm. *However, this gives the
dandelions a head start in the spring. *They are regarded as a pest here and
if you don't keep them under control and someone complains, the city will
come and cut your lawn and charge you a hefy fee/fine for doing it.
However, they can't keep their own lands under control and the boulevards
will soon be a mass of bright yellow followed a few days later by carpets of
unsightly seed heads. *Weed 'n' Feed is not easy to find now and there is a
hairshirted alderman who wants to ban 2-4-D. *The answer may be one of
these:http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,2300,44822...

Graham

Get out now and pick for dandelion flower wine
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/home-ma...ecipes/417523/
If you want the leaves for eating then you should grow them in the
dark, a bucket or something of that ilk placed over them when they are
just starting to grow.
David Hill

Corporal Jones[_2_] 24-04-2010 06:26 PM

Dandelions

On 24/04/2010 13:33, andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

I pick the flowers and feed them to my Cockatiels, they love them and
picking the flowers prevents the seed spreading

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

sutartsorric 24-04-2010 07:02 PM

Dandelions

On 24 Apr, 18:26, Corporal Jones wrote:
On 24/04/2010 13:33, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

I pick the flowers and feed them to my Cockatiels, they love them and
picking the flowers prevents the seed spreading

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"
Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced

I love dandelions in my grass, so send them here.

Christina Websell[_2_] 24-04-2010 07:04 PM

Dandelions

"Dave Hill" wrote in message ..

Get out now and pick for dandelion flower wine
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/home-ma...ecipes/417523/
If you want the leaves for eating then you should grow them in the
dark, a bucket or something of that ilk placed over them when they are
just starting to grow.
David Hill
______
Totally agree, why waste them? I made some dandelion flower wine (this is
exactly the time to pluck them) I can't say it was my best for taste, but
it was certainly -hic- alcoholic.
Tina

Jim A 24-04-2010 07:16 PM

Dandelions

andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

My Grandmother used to swear that the best way to get rid of them was
simply to pick all the flowers before they seed and eventually they will go.

I was never convinced myself.

My garden is small enough that I can dig them out one by one.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

alan.holmes 24-04-2010 07:26 PM

Dandelions

"andy" wrote in message
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Verdone kills all plants which are not grass!

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 24-04-2010 08:05 PM

Dandelions

andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Use the leaves in salad; scrub the roots and lightly roast them, grind,
and use as a coffee substitute; the flowers make an excellent wine.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 24-04-2010 08:06 PM

Dandelions

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

Danelionrays!

--
Rusty

Tim Watts 24-04-2010 08:06 PM

Dandelions

Rusty Hinge
wibbled on Saturday 24 April 2010 20:05

scrub the roots and lightly roast them, grind,
and use as a coffee substitute;

Do they contain caffeine?

--
Tim Watts

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 24-04-2010 08:07 PM

Dandelions

~Brian~ wrote:
®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

The younger laeves are quite nice in salad! But to get rid I personally use
a spot lawn weeder.

I expect it would.

What does it taste like?

--