Old 24-04-2010, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelions

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?
Old 24-04-2010, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , andy
writes
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

a) Nip the flower heads off before they set seed
b) Dig them up and get as much of the root as you can. There's a simple
special little tool for lifting out this type of weed.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 24-04-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 24-04-2010, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

The younger laeves are quite nice in salad! But to get rid I personally use
a spot lawn weeder.

Old 24-04-2010, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"andy" wrote in message
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Harsh winters won't affect them! Here, in western Canada, the grass dies
back over winter and most of my lawn is brown atm. However, this gives the
dandelions a head start in the spring. They are regarded as a pest here and
if you don't keep them under control and someone complains, the city will
come and cut your lawn and charge you a hefy fee/fine for doing it.
However, they can't keep their own lands under control and the boulevards
will soon be a mass of bright yellow followed a few days later by carpets of
unsightly seed heads. Weed 'n' Feed is not easy to find now and there is a
hairshirted alderman who wants to ban 2-4-D. The answer may be one of
these:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...300,44822&ap=1

Graham

Old 24-04-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 24 Apr, 17:58, "graham" wrote:
"andy" wrote in message

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Harsh winters won't affect them! *Here, in western Canada, the grass dies
back over winter and most of my lawn is brown atm. *However, this gives the
dandelions a head start in the spring. *They are regarded as a pest here and
if you don't keep them under control and someone complains, the city will
come and cut your lawn and charge you a hefy fee/fine for doing it.
However, they can't keep their own lands under control and the boulevards
will soon be a mass of bright yellow followed a few days later by carpets of
unsightly seed heads. *Weed 'n' Feed is not easy to find now and there is a
hairshirted alderman who wants to ban 2-4-D. *The answer may be one of
these:http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,2300,44822...

Graham

Get out now and pick for dandelion flower wine
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/home-ma...ecipes/417523/
If you want the leaves for eating then you should grow them in the
dark, a bucket or something of that ilk placed over them when they are
just starting to grow.
David Hill
Old 24-04-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2010 13:33, andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

I pick the flowers and feed them to my Cockatiels, they love them and
picking the flowers prevents the seed spreading

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 24-04-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Apr, 18:26, Corporal Jones wrote:
On 24/04/2010 13:33, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

I pick the flowers and feed them to my Cockatiels, they love them and
picking the flowers prevents the seed spreading

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"
Life will go on albeit somewhat reduced

I love dandelions in my grass, so send them here.
Old 24-04-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message ..

Get out now and pick for dandelion flower wine
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/home-ma...ecipes/417523/
If you want the leaves for eating then you should grow them in the
dark, a bucket or something of that ilk placed over them when they are
just starting to grow.
David Hill
______
Totally agree, why waste them? I made some dandelion flower wine (this is
exactly the time to pluck them) I can't say it was my best for taste, but
it was certainly -hic- alcoholic.
Tina

Old 24-04-2010, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

My Grandmother used to swear that the best way to get rid of them was
simply to pick all the flowers before they seed and eventually they will go.

I was never convinced myself.

My garden is small enough that I can dig them out one by one.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Old 24-04-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"andy" wrote in message
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Verdone kills all plants which are not grass!

Old 24-04-2010, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

andy wrote:
Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

Use the leaves in salad; scrub the roots and lightly roast them, grind,
and use as a coffee substitute; the flowers make an excellent wine.

--
Rusty
Old 24-04-2010, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

Danelionrays!

--
Rusty
Old 24-04-2010, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge
wibbled on Saturday 24 April 2010 20:05

scrub the roots and lightly roast them, grind,
and use as a coffee substitute;

Do they contain caffeine?

--
Tim Watts

Old 24-04-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

~Brian~ wrote:
®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:33:27 +0100, andy wrote:

Lots of dandelions this year ( in South East ) especially in lawns -
harsh Winter didn't affect them .......
What's best to treat etc ?

During the war, some of our Mothers ate the leaves and turned the
roots into coffee.

The younger laeves are quite nice in salad! But to get rid I personally use
a spot lawn weeder.

I expect it would.

What does it taste like?

--
Rusty

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM