Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default WooHooo! Allotment!

Just received a call from a nice lady in the local council to tell me I have
a choice of two allotments.

They are '5 rod' allotments (also known locally as half plots) but I haven't
worked out the square footage yet.
The council are currently splitting full plots down when they come available
to cut down the waiting list.
I have been on the list for about a year.

The plot I have chosen was reportedly neglected, and the council have come
in and rotovated it so at least I should have an easier start than some.

Now the big question - what to put in?

I haven't prepared for this by growing stuff from seed and I assume that the
plot has not been fed recently.

I have already been given some seed potatoes (within 5 minutes of arriving
to look at the plot) which should allow me to get part of the plot planted
up and easily controlled.
The question is what to do with the rest.
Onions allegedly don't do well.
Pigeons go after brassicas.
Carrots probably need to be grown under fleece.

Thoughts so far:

Buy some tomato plants and wait until the weather improves.
Courgettes.
Outdoor cucmbers if I can find them - so far I've only seen indoor ones.
Beetroot does well so perpetual spinach.

A fruit tree - have to be pot grown this time of year. A good number of
plots have fruit trees already, mainly apples by the look of them.

Lettuce and other salad leaves.

Perhaps some herbs?

O.K. - what have I forgotten and what won't be happy going in this time of
year or won't be happy without specific preparation the previous autumn?

Cheers

Dave R

WooHooo, getting a new sod lawn installed GamePlayer No. 1058 Lawns 0 04-10-2003 02:24 AM
New Interest Group on ICQ for Allotment Gardeners Roberto United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 06:08 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 11:27 PM
New Allotment Simon Diaz United Kingdom 6 19-12-2002 11:03 PM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 05:49 PM