GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   carrots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/191460-carrots.html)

Paul Luton[_2_] 12-05-2010 10:27 PM

carrots

For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent
supply of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem
reluctant to germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any
watering produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Pwllgloyw 12-05-2010 10:37 PM

carrots

On 12/05/2010 22:27, Paul Luton wrote:
For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent
supply of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem
reluctant to germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any
watering produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Paul

I've had trouble with both carrots and parsnips this year.

Started some parsnips in toilet rolls indoors, but they only partiallgy
germinated. Planyed the suceesful ones outside, and something has swiped
the lot. Seed planted direct failed to germinate.

Carrots seem to germinate, then something comes and nibbles off the
leaves - suspect woodpigeons!

No Name 12-05-2010 10:40 PM

carrots

Pwllgloyw wrote:
Carrots seem to germinate, then something comes and nibbles off the
leaves - suspect woodpigeons!

Nah, think mine was slugs. They were in the coldframe, wouldn't get a
woodpigeon in there. (Well, might do, but they wouldn't get out again!)

Bob Hobden 12-05-2010 11:22 PM

carrots

"Paul Luton" wrote...
For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent supply
of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem reluctant to
germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any watering
produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Mine are coming up slowly, but it is cold for the time of year which will
seriously affect the germination of Parsnips which are notorious for slow
germination anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

kay 13-05-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 887095)
"
Mine are coming up slowly, but it is cold for the time of year which will
seriously affect the germination of Parsnips which are notorious for slow
germination anyway.

Mine are coming up erratically - three or four where I'd expect 30. I put it down to the cold - while we've had a wonderful display of spring bulbs, primroses etc, anything that I've started in the greenhouse (eg sweet peas, broad beans) and then planted out has come to a complete standstill.