Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default carrots

For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent
supply of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem
reluctant to germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any
watering produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old 12-05-2010, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/05/2010 22:27, Paul Luton wrote:
For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent
supply of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem
reluctant to germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any
watering produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Paul

I've had trouble with both carrots and parsnips this year.

Started some parsnips in toilet rolls indoors, but they only partiallgy
germinated. Planyed the suceesful ones outside, and something has swiped
the lot. Seed planted direct failed to germinate.

Carrots seem to germinate, then something comes and nibbles off the
leaves - suspect woodpigeons!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pwllgloyw wrote:
Carrots seem to germinate, then something comes and nibbles off the
leaves - suspect woodpigeons!

Nah, think mine was slugs. They were in the coldframe, wouldn't get a
woodpigeon in there. (Well, might do, but they wouldn't get out again!)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote...
For the last two years the new allotment has produced an excellent supply
of carrots. This year both varieties that I have tried seem reluctant to
germinate. Cold weather ? or is it the dryness so that any watering
produces a crust on the surface? The bigger parsnips seem OK.

Anyone else having problems ?

Mine are coming up slowly, but it is cold for the time of year which will
seriously affect the germination of Parsnips which are notorious for slow
germination anyway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-05-2010, 02:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"
Mine are coming up slowly, but it is cold for the time of year which will
seriously affect the germination of Parsnips which are notorious for slow
germination anyway.
Mine are coming up erratically - three or four where I'd expect 30. I put it down to the cold - while we've had a wonderful display of spring bulbs, primroses etc, anything that I've started in the greenhouse (eg sweet peas, broad beans) and then planted out has come to a complete standstill.

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM