Old 16-05-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please help ID this mystery plant

Could someone ID this plant for me? I always thought it was wild garlic
but having googled wild garlic, it obviously isn't. It grows strappy
leaves much like snowdrops (get a lot of those too) and grows just after
the snowdrops finish. It reeks of onion, has a snowdrop like bulb
(although some have a second bulb below the first) but the flower is
really odd. The plant has a stem with a papery bag at the top, there are
a group of fleshy seed things in the bag and out of the bag drops a
narrow stem with a white bell shaped flower. Does anyone recognise it?
They're just finishing now, grow in drifts in the grass.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39851715143746

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39759010977906

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39719644195554

Thanks.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gribela
writes
Could someone ID this plant for me? I always thought it was wild garlic
but having googled wild garlic, it obviously isn't. It grows strappy
leaves much like snowdrops (get a lot of those too) and grows just
after the snowdrops finish. It reeks of onion, has a snowdrop like bulb
(although some have a second bulb below the first) but the flower is
really odd. The plant has a stem with a papery bag at the top, there
are a group of fleshy seed things in the bag and out of the bag drops a
narrow stem with a white bell shaped flower. Does anyone recognise it?
They're just finishing now, grow in drifts in the grass.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39851715143746

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39759010977906

http://picasaweb.google.com/HeatherM...39719644195554

Thanks.

It may be Allium paradoxum.

There are several Allium with triquetrous (3-cornered) flower stalks.
Those naturalised in Britain are Allium triquetrum (three-cornered
garlic), Allium pendulinum (Italian garlic) and Allium paradoxum
(few-flowered garlic). The latter is the only one of the three to bear
bulbils in the inflorescence, so I infer that that is what you have.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 16-05-2010, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Stewart, Allium paradoxum it is!
Old 22-05-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Allium triquetrum (three-cornered garlic)

Which smell of onions and is an absolute menace! No matter how many
bulbs i dig out of the soil they come back next year.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph