Old 26-05-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

Seen growing in a street, and presumably a garden escape.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_3000.JPG

Not Saxifraga (cordate rather cuneate leaves), nor either of the
pennywort genera (leaves not peltate), nor Pyrola (leaf venation palmate
rather than pinnate). It doesn't seem a bad match for Homogyne alpina,
but that's restricted in the wild to Caenlochan NNR in Angus (if still
present; the BSBI don't have it as being recorded this century), with a
presumably casual record in Northamptonshire, and it's rarely if all
cultivated (last seen in Plant Finder in 1997).

Anyone recognise it.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-05-2010, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Seen growing in a street, and presumably a garden escape.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_3000.JPG

Not Saxifraga (cordate rather cuneate leaves), nor either of the pennywort
genera (leaves not peltate), nor Pyrola (leaf venation palmate rather than
pinnate). It doesn't seem a bad match for Homogyne alpina, but that's
restricted in the wild to Caenlochan NNR in Angus (if still present; the
BSBI don't have it as being recorded this century), with a presumably
casual record in Northamptonshire, and it's rarely if all cultivated (last
seen in Plant Finder in 1997).

Anyone recognise it.

Could it be a young Eryngium variifolium? Although it seems a bit large to
not have some at least some spiky leaves.

--

Jeff

Old 27-05-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
Seen growing in a street, and presumably a garden escape.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_3000.JPG

Not Saxifraga (cordate rather cuneate leaves), nor either of the
pennywort genera (leaves not peltate), nor Pyrola (leaf venation
palmate rather than pinnate). It doesn't seem a bad match for
Homogyne alpina, but that's restricted in the wild to Caenlochan NNR
in Angus (if still present; the BSBI don't have it as being recorded
this century), with a presumably casual record in Northamptonshire,
and it's rarely if all cultivated (last seen in Plant Finder in 1997).

Anyone recognise it.

Could it be a young Eryngium variifolium? Although it seems a bit
large to not have some at least some spiky leaves.

On the one hand, the white veining of the leaves is a match. On the
other hand I saw the same taxon (and I think the same plant) in the same
place last year. Is it hardy enough to have come through the last
winter?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-05-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
[...]

DavesGarden has its hardiness listed as US Zones 4a to 8b!!! The RHS
reckons it's "fully hardy". My feeling is that given reasonably good
drainage it should have survived last winter. What's the soil like where
you found it? With its "velcro" seeds, it would not be difficult for a
wandering animal to pick one of its seeds up in a garden and drop that seed
where you found it.

It was a plant around quite a bit a few years ago, and stocked by many
garden centres, but I don't remember seeing it much recently.

--

Jeff

Old 29-05-2010, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I'll have to have another look later in the year, and see what it looks
like then. But if you look at the photograph, it appears to be growing
in the edge of a path, rather than the grass verge.