Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on

X-post to uk.rec.gardening who are perhaps more likely to be expert in this
subject.

wrote in message
Where in the UK can you buy a piece of land of around 2-3 acres with a
house on it, where you can be self-sufficient, i.e. farm the land non-
commercially for your own family's needs only (without keeping any
livestock), without breaking any regulations or requiring permission?

Is there anywhere where you can get this for less than say 300K?

ISTR my self-sufficiency books said that you needed a minimum of 4 acres to
fully rotate crops and feed a family.
They were keeping a pig, though, for meat and for ploughing up the land.
I would have thought you might to keep at least chickens and bees (assuming
you regard these as livestock).

AFAIK you can use all your garden to grow food without requiring any
permission, so I presume the basic question is 'where can I get a house and
two or more acres of land for under £300K'.

If you want a wide range of growing conditions you will need to be fairly
well south, which will push the price up.
Scotland can be cheaper but you have a restricted growing season.

Lincolnshire, perhaps?

HTH

Dave R