GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Courgette or zucchini? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192046-courgette-zucchini.html)

Alison[_2_] 08-06-2010 10:55 AM

Courgette or zucchini?

http://tinyurl.com/zucchinicourgette

--
Alison

Willy Eckerslyke 08-06-2010 11:23 AM

Courgette or zucchini?

Cucumbers are less chafing.

Ostap Bender 08-06-2010 12:47 PM

Courgette or zucchini?

On Jun 8, 2:55*am, "Alison" wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/zucchinicourgette

--
Alison

Now we are cooking!

bof 08-06-2010 01:04 PM

Courgette or zucchini?

In message , Willy Eckerslyke
writes
Cucumbers are less chafing.

So long as you avoid the spiky Japanese ones.

--

bof at bof dot me dot uk

miljee 08-06-2010 06:47 PM

Aren't they two names for exactly the same thing? Aussies call them zucchini, Brits courgette!

Lou Ravi 08-06-2010 08:49 PM

Courgette or zucchini?

bof wrote:
In message , Willy Eckerslyke
writes
Cucumbers are less chafing.

So long as you avoid the spiky Japanese ones.

Use the gel Luke, use the gel!

kay 09-06-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miljee (Post 890367)
Aren't they two names for exactly the same thing? Aussies call them zucchini, Brits courgette!

I thought it was simply that courgette is the french and zucchini is the italian. And since they're foreign, we, in our usual fashion, haven't given them an english name but simply stolen the foreign.

We had good attempt at anglicisation with 'egg plant' (which was the accepted term when I was young) but have now settled back to aubergine.

Do we have a preference for the french because we consider french cooking to be the best? And only use other languages for things that aren't traditionally french, I wonder? Pizza, paella, tapas etc.