GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First Harvest! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192151-first-harvest.html)

No Name 13-06-2010 08:23 PM

First Harvest!

5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 13-06-2010 10:33 PM

First Harvest!

In message ,
writes
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

If you grow chives and rhubarb you can harvest them earlier than this. I
also harvested a few beetroots that had survived the winter earlier in
the year, and some leaves from last year's chard.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

[email protected] 13-06-2010 11:10 PM

First Harvest!

In article , wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

A good start!

I have had only some broad bean tops and strawberries of the new
season's crops.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No Name 13-06-2010 11:20 PM

First Harvest!

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

If you grow chives and rhubarb you can harvest them earlier than this. I
also harvested a few beetroots that had survived the winter earlier in
the year, and some leaves from last year's chard.

I was forgettnig the rhubarb, we've been picking that for a while, but
stopped a couple of weeks ago as it was starting to look a bit sad.

I pulled all of last year's beetroots which we forgot to harvest last year,
and have now gone to seed and threw them to the chickens - they had an
absolute field day with them, although they've only munched through the
leaves not the actual root (not too unexpected, I guess)

If a Dandelion diet makes yolks super-yellow, I wonder what beetroot will do
to them? ;-)

No Name 13-06-2010 11:24 PM

First Harvest!

wrote:
I have had only some broad bean tops and strawberries of the new
season's crops.

I was surprised the red currants are ripening already, as the blackcurrants
are all still very very green.

Nick picked a broad bean that he insisted was ready today, wouldn't believe

No Name 13-06-2010 11:25 PM

First Harvest!

wrote:
In article , wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

Oh, forgot to add - 2 tiny courgettes, just getting near the "baby
courgette" size!

PtePike[_3_] 14-06-2010 10:30 AM

First Harvest!

wrote in news:87kpi9FojqU3
@mid.individual.net:

5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

Nice.

I have been picking alpine strawbs for a couple of weeks now but are small,
5p coin size.
They kept their foiliage all through winter along with many flowers, should
I have maintained them? I thought about nipping here and there but decided
not to.
I grew them from seed and they are Mignonette, have you any advice for me
please.

Thanks
PtePike

No Name 14-06-2010 11:42 AM

First Harvest!

PtePike wrote:
I have been picking alpine strawbs for a couple of weeks now but are small,
5p coin size.
They kept their foiliage all through winter along with many flowers, should
I have maintained them? I thought about nipping here and there but decided
not to.
I grew them from seed and they are Mignonette, have you any advice for me
please.

None at all, really, I'm afraid. I grew mine a bit by accident about 6
years ago, in a big pot, and they've kept going ever since. Mine stayed
leafy and with a couple of flowers, too, but they don't seem to have
suffered from it.

5p size isn't that bad, really. They /are/ alpine strawberries, they are
meant to be small. I think mine are a little bigger than 5p size (well, 5p
on the main bit, but a bit elongated), but not much. Noticed another
handful have ripened since yesterday!

I don't actually like them, they're just there for the kids to go rooting
through when they remember. :-)

Oh, one thing to note - vine weevil seem to really enjoy them, so watch out
for vine weevil grubs,a nd don't d othe silly thing that I did before they
went in the pot, which was to plant them under a grape vine!

PtePike[_3_] 14-06-2010 12:14 PM

First Harvest!

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like too
much either!
I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

We live and hope that not too much damage has been done.

Thanks
PtePike

No Name 14-06-2010 02:37 PM

First Harvest!

PtePike wrote:
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like too
much either!

Heh. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Certainly not big and juicy
strawberries. But they do have a much longer growing season! (start
earlier and keep going much later - although last year was a bit odd with
our real strawberries growing into late November, iirc!)

I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

:-) You may be lucky, and you can get things to treat vine weavil that you
just water on, if you're that way inclined. I got sent to pick them out by
hand, cos it was "my fault" for putting the strawberries in. :-( Not a
pleasant job.

PtePike[_3_] 14-06-2010 02:48 PM

First Harvest!

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
I think after your comments that I have grown something I dont like
too much either!

Heh. They're a bit of an aquired taste. Certainly not big and juicy
strawberries. But they do have a much longer growing season! (start
earlier and keep going much later - although last year was a bit odd
with our real strawberries growing into late November, iirc!)

I took the plunge and planted a grape.....guess where!

:-) You may be lucky, and you can get things to treat vine weavil that
:you
just water on, if you're that way inclined. I got sent to pick them
out by hand, cos it was "my fault" for putting the strawberries in.
:-( Not a pleasant job.

In future dont get caught hehe.

kay 14-06-2010 04:24 PM

They have a very intense strawberry taste, but without the strawberry juiciness. They're best used either as nibbles while you're out in the garden, or to add to something else - layered with cream inside a sponge cake, scattered over ice cream or added to muesli, for example.

alan.holmes 17-06-2010 08:17 PM

First Harvest!

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

Alan

®óñ© © ²°¹° 17-06-2010 08:26 PM

First Harvest!

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:17:20 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

alan.holmes 17-06-2010 10:44 PM

First Harvest!

wrote:

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

Lucky beggar!

Alan

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

No Name 17-06-2010 10:55 PM

First Harvest!

???? ? ???? wrote:
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

Got a couple of lettuce leaves, then the chickens got them. :-(

®óñ© © ²°¹° 17-06-2010 11:12 PM

First Harvest!

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:44:24 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
5 mange tout, 3 strawberries, 4 alpine strawberries, 6 redcurrants!

You are 18 items up on me!(:-(

I've had loads and loads of lettuce and radish

Lucky beggar!

They grow like anything in the greenhouse in between the tomatoes,

Now the toms have spread their wings and the space has gone.
There's just enough space down the cucumber end to strew a few
radishes and a brace or two of cos seedlings.

--