Old 17-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered User

Default Saffron

Hi

I am new to this forum, so hope I do it right. I am a keen gardener and have had a go at growing most stuff in my smallish London garden. I now have it in mind to try to grow Saffron. has anyone tried this yet and were the results good?
Old 17-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
Hi

I am new to this forum, so hope I do it right. I am a keen gardener and have had a go at growing most stuff in my smallish London garden. I now have it in mind to try to grow Saffron. has anyone tried this yet and were the results good?
I am new to this forum too, so fingers crossed!

With regard to your 'saffron' enquiry;
Saffron is a particular autumn crocus, to be exact; Crocus sativus. Loved for its many uses, its exquisite beauty as a flower as well as its sacramental quality too. Stigmas of the flower constitute the spice.

You want to purchase the Saffron Crocus and plant in late summer, if your garden is small then you can give it a go in a tub. I would say though it is rather a time consuming task collecting them, but rewarding. Although you only get two or three stigmas a plant so the chances of having a great crop are small.

I like to experiment in the garden so I would always advise to 'give it a go' but you must be 100% sure you are buying saffron crocus not the autumn crocus as it is not edible!

Happy gardening, The Gardengirl Garden Design, Landscaping and accessories from the Gardengirl