Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default leeks,

this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2010 12:23, bob wrote:
this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks

If you've got a bud on the top it means the leek is running to
flower/seed. In other words it will become useless for eating - they put
a hard flower stem up the middle of the leek which is almost inedible.
Leeks tend to do this if they haven't had adequate watering. To get nice
fat leeks that don't run to seed keep them well watered. Maybe too late
now though, once they start running to flower breaking off the flower
bud seems to make little difference.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
On 02/07/2010 12:23, bob wrote:
this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks

If you've got a bud on the top it means the leek is running to
flower/seed. In other words it will become useless for eating - they put
a hard flower stem up the middle of the leek which is almost inedible.
Leeks tend to do this if they haven't had adequate watering. To get nice
fat leeks that don't run to seed keep them well watered. Maybe too late
now though, once they start running to flower breaking off the flower
bud seems to make little difference.

Dig them up NOW and see if they have started to go woody; they may
still be OK, but won't be for long. The woodiness doesn't start
until after the flower stalk has developed, and they are perfectly
good until they do go woody. It's very obvious when you slice them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
If you've got a bud on the top it means the leek is running to
flower/seed. In other words it will become useless for eating - they put

They're not actually that bad for eating if you don't mind losing the stalky
bit - it reduces the amount you get that is edible, but they're still ok for
soup. Although I suspect it means they won't store at all.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote
this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks

Haven't even planted ours out yet, still at the blades of grass stage.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-07-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2010 14:12, Bob Hobden wrote:

"bob" wrote
this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks

Haven't even planted ours out yet, still at the blades of grass stage.

Mine are at the same stage.

I did an experiment last autumn and tried planting out some very late
leeks - they were the size of blades of grass over Winter. They have
remained small and just run to seed over spring/early summer. So they
didn't like their normal season being messed with.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 02/07/10 11:23, bob wrote:
this is our first attempt at growing leeks and they are now about 1ft
tall and they have what looks like a bud on the top,should we remove
this or leave well alone,many thanks

When did you plant them out?

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM