Old 03-07-2010, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which clematis is this please?

A couple of years ago some friends gave us a clematis. We cannot recall
its name - and it's frustrating; especially as they are coming to visit
us soon!

After a bit of a struggle I have uploaded three images which should be
accessed through the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopher_...13383/in/photo
stream

Unlike most clematis this one does not have the tendrils to support
itself hence we have to tire it in as it grows but each year it puts on
a great, long flowering show.

Any help with identification would be very welcome.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
A couple of years ago some friends gave us a clematis. We cannot recall
its name - and it's frustrating; especially as they are coming to visit
us soon!

After a bit of a struggle I have uploaded three images which should be
accessed through the following:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gopher_...13383/in/photo
stream

Unlike most clematis this one does not have the tendrils to support
itself hence we have to tire it in as it grows but each year it puts on
a great, long flowering show.

Any help with identification would be very welcome.

All ways a bit tricky with so many to chose from but I think it Clematis
'Durandii', if it is it should have long stiff flower stems and a non
clinging habit (does not wrap its leaves around things)
It is a hybrid between Clematis integrefolia and Clematis x jackmanii
raised in lyon in 1874.
Makes a wonderful cut flower (they grow hundreds of acres of it in Japan
for cut flower)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 03-07-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie
Pridham writes
In article , says...
[...]

Thanks Charlie. That's the one. Much appreciated - thank you!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher View Post

Unlike most clematis this one does not have the tendrils to support
itself
--
Clematis don't have tendrils - they support themselves either by scrambling over plants or by wrapping their leaf stems around twigs in a tendril-like fashion.

But I suppose, since tendrils are effectively modified leaves, using your leaf stem as a tendril is an earlier stage on the evolutionary pathway to tendrils.