Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing leaves from vegetables?

Hi all you wonderfully knowledgeable people,
I have been removing leaves from my courgettes and brassicas, as they are
getting a bit overcrowded and I want to get some ventilation through the
plants. Is it OK removing the leaves as long as I leave enough to 'power'
the plants ? ?
Many thanks
Ian

Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian Robinson" wrote
Hi all you wonderfully knowledgeable people,
I have been removing leaves from my courgettes and brassicas, as they are
getting a bit overcrowded and I want to get some ventilation through the
plants. Is it OK removing the leaves as long as I leave enough to 'power'
the plants ? ?
Many thanks

Personally I only remove those that are going yellow.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/07/2010 17:44, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Ian Robinson" wrote
Hi all you wonderfully knowledgeable people,
I have been removing leaves from my courgettes and brassicas, as they
are getting a bit overcrowded and I want to get some ventilation
through the plants. Is it OK removing the leaves as long as I leave
enough to 'power' the plants ? ?
Many thanks

Personally I only remove those that are going yellow.

Ditto that. I've always been tempted to grow brassicas too close
together but managed to resist the temptation this year, they seem to
prefer having a little extra space around them. Easier to weed too.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 July, 17:27, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 07/07/2010 17:44, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Ian Robinson" wrote
Hi all you wonderfully knowledgeable people,
I have been removing leaves from my courgettes and brassicas, as they
are getting a bit overcrowded and I want to get some ventilation
through the plants. Is it OK removing the leaves as long as I leave
enough to 'power' the plants ? ?
Many thanks

Personally I only remove those that are going yellow.

Ditto that. I've always been tempted to grow brassicas too close
together but managed to resist the temptation this year, they seem to
prefer having a little extra space around them. Easier to weed too.

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

I can see nothing wrong with planting your Spring and summer cabbage
closer in the rows, then taking out alternative plants to use as
greens, alternativly plant them in 2's so that they grow away from
each other, and again remove 1 for use whilst still immature.
On the subject of planting doubles, try it with onions and onion sets,
you will get smaller onions but a heavier crop, with cauliflowers you
will get 2 smaller curds, which may be an advantage.
David Hill
Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks, that's a good idea. I hav eremoved a lot of greenery from the
brassicas and courgettes and they all seem a lot happier for it, having room
to breath and grow now, will continue to use the cabbage leves as they grow
and just keep those areound the hearts, which seem to be comming along
nicely.
Ian & Carol