Old 21-07-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT chicken courses

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:16:22 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 2010-07-20 23:29:45 +0100, Sally Thompson said:

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 23:03:24 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):
snipRay looked at electric fencing at our local farmers' store today and
is
going to invest in it. At this rate, each egg is going to be worth a
small fortune - however, this is really for the grand daughter to enjoy
so we're not umming too much! The run will be sited well away from the
public areas and signs will be put up. As we figure it, people walk
into and past fields with electric fencing so our well-signed bit
shouldn't be a problem. Making a total barrier would be very
difficult here (I saw customers walking round the compost heap the
other day on their way to the "No public entry" bit but by a devious
route!)

Ah yes, as Tony says "yet another £300 egg!" Make sure it's netting, not
fencing per se. And we run ours off the mains, not battery because with all
the foliage around it would drain the battery very quickly.

Yes, it's netting - a special fox fence - and as it will be in the
field, I don't think we'll be able to run it off the mains but I'll ask
the (electric) powers that be! These chickens are intended primarily
as pets though the egs will be welcome. I don't even want to think
about what they've cost so far and we haven't got them yet! We had a
similar but much lower fence round the ducks' enclosure to discourage
the dogs. One touch of their noses to that - an indignant yelp and a
bolt for the bushes - and they never went near them again. Before
that, our then dachshund had chewed through living willow fencing and
chicken wire to get to them and two dachshunds and two JRs were found
sitting on and in front of the ducks' ark watching them in an
interested sort of way. Luckily, it was on the day they arrived and
they were still kept in the ark.

:-)
Reminds me of when my (then little) son's pet gerbil escaped from its cage,
and I came home to find two very interested cats watching the gerbil at their
cat bowl.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 21-07-2010, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
;-)) A friend of ours found a bat in her bedroom and was intent on
catching it and releasing it out of the window. She's not afraid of
them and wanted only to help it. After nearly an hour of trying to get
it, it disappeared and she and her daughter were on their hands and
knees, searching under the furniture etc. Silently, her daughter
pointed to friend's knee - under it was one flat bat. ;-(

Awww.
I discovered a knack (or my teacher did) when I was at school - apparently
birds at the time (when I was about 10) let me pick them up. I can't
remember how it all started - something like astunned bird flew into a
glass door and I picked it up and helped it to safety, but then I got sent
into a classroom to 'rescue' some blackbird that had flown in by accident
and everyone else had run away. It was all very odd, and I'd completely
forgotten about it until now ...
Old 21-07-2010, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
One of my stepdaughters had her pet HennyPenny who was so used to being
carried around that when s-d approached her, Henny would squat down and
just wait to be picked up. We have a wonderful photo of stepdaughter
in wellie boots, shorts and big straw hat with a hen under one arm!

Chickeny was like that. :-( I could call her and she would waddle over and
just wait to be picked up. I miss her. :'(
Old 21-07-2010, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Chickeny was like that. :-( I could call her and she would waddle over and
just wait to be picked up. I miss her. :'(

Kipling was right - even if he was talking about dogs. You'll have to
train another feathered friend. I read about Buff Orpingtons in
today's Country Life and the article said that the pullets will sit on
your feet like outsize slippers! Apparently, we're having 2 Amrocks, 2
Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Red New Hampshires, all of which are now
corralled together in their own compound at the breeder's place so that
they get used to each other before they come to us.

I miss chickeny. :-(
I think I need a new friendly chicken.
Old 22-07-2010, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:07:36 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 2010-07-21 22:53:14 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
One of my stepdaughters had her pet HennyPenny who was so used to being
carried around that when s-d approached her, Henny would squat down and
just wait to be picked up. We have a wonderful photo of stepdaughter
in wellie boots, shorts and big straw hat with a hen under one arm!

Chickeny was like that. :-( I could call her and she would waddle over and
just wait to be picked up. I miss her. :'(

Kipling was right - even if he was talking about dogs. You'll have to
train another feathered friend. I read about Buff Orpingtons in
today's Country Life and the article said that the pullets will sit on
your feet like outsize slippers! Apparently, we're having 2 Amrocks, 2
Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Red New Hampshires, all of which are now
corralled together in their own compound at the breeder's place so that
they get used to each other before they come to us.

Orpingtons are lovely. I have now had four, though not Buff ones - two
Jubilee )rpingtons (quite rare) and two fairly-new-to-me Gold Laced
Orpingtons. However, you don't have them for their masses of eggs. As
someone once said to me, they are Too Posh to Push:-) When they moult they
tend to look like an unmade bed, and they are very docile and friendly.

Old 22-07-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
[...]

I am favourite at work for getting wasps & bees out of the office. Somehow
most of my colleagues seem terrified.
I tell them firmly, stop panicking and stop flapping at them when they are
in the air or you deserve to get stung. Go back to your desks.
sigh
Tina