GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flagstones and waterfall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192925-flagstones-waterfall.html)

Richard[_8_] 26-07-2010 07:48 PM

Flagstones and waterfall

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

Mike Lyle 26-07-2010 09:53 PM

Flagstones and waterfall

Richard wrote:
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick
slabs) will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

Dunno. Are you thinking about colour, durability, or shape? Sometimes
people use hopelessly wrong-colour stone in gardens: just doesn't tone
in with the local stone or soil (and it's usually slate chips!).
Squared-off stones would only look good in one of those very formal
Islamic or Italian watercourses which wasn't trying to look natural, but
broken slabs could be used either way. It's tough enough for paving, so
it won't wear out.

--
Mike.

Bob Hobden 26-07-2010 10:41 PM

Flagstones and waterfall

"Richard" wrote ...
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

The problem might be that the rock or a constituent dissolves in the water
causing problems especially as the water will be recirculating. Yorshire
Flagstones are a sandstone rock so there should not be a problem. To check
that they don't contain chalk pour some vinegar on them and see it they
react, if you get a froth then don't use them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Stephen Wolstenholme 26-07-2010 11:39 PM

Flagstones and waterfall

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:48:47 +0100, Richard wrote:

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

I used a load of Yorkshire flagstones in a pond and waterfall that I
made about 40 years ago. No problems at all. Yorkshire flagstones
don't dissolve.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Janet 27-07-2010 02:12 AM

Flagstones and waterfall

In article , says...

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

"Sorry, I haven't a clue" sounds about right.

Janet

harry 27-07-2010 09:28 AM

Flagstones and waterfall

On 26 July, 19:48, Richard wrote:
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

All down to aesthetics.