Old 26-07-2010, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flagstones and waterfall

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?
Old 26-07-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Richard wrote:
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick
slabs) will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

Dunno. Are you thinking about colour, durability, or shape? Sometimes
people use hopelessly wrong-colour stone in gardens: just doesn't tone
in with the local stone or soil (and it's usually slate chips!).
Squared-off stones would only look good in one of those very formal
Islamic or Italian watercourses which wasn't trying to look natural, but
broken slabs could be used either way. It's tough enough for paving, so
it won't wear out.

--
Mike.

Old 26-07-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard" wrote ...
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

The problem might be that the rock or a constituent dissolves in the water
causing problems especially as the water will be recirculating. Yorshire
Flagstones are a sandstone rock so there should not be a problem. To check
that they don't contain chalk pour some vinegar on them and see it they
react, if you get a froth then don't use them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-07-2010, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 19:48:47 +0100, Richard wrote:

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

I used a load of Yorkshire flagstones in a pond and waterfall that I
made about 40 years ago. No problems at all. Yorkshire flagstones
don't dissolve.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 27-07-2010, 02:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

"Sorry, I haven't a clue" sounds about right.

Janet

Old 27-07-2010, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 July, 19:48, Richard wrote:
Someone is asking me about whether Yorkshire flagstones (3" thick slabs)
will be "any good" for a waterfall "for my pond".

What should I say?

All down to aesthetics.