GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   teabags in compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/192957-teabags-compost.html)

Adam Funk[_3_] 28-07-2010 11:56 AM

teabags in compost

According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

Ian B[_2_] 28-07-2010 01:43 PM

teabags in compost

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Ian

®óñ© © ²°¹° 28-07-2010 02:12 PM

teabags in compost

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:43:54 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Our tea bags go straight into the kitchen/food waste bin (as advised
by the Council)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Roy Bailey[_2_] 28-07-2010 03:06 PM

teabags in compost

In article , Ian B
writes

[snipped]

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

[email protected] 28-07-2010 03:11 PM

teabags in compost

In article ,
Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ian B[_2_] 28-07-2010 03:25 PM

teabags in compost

wrote in message
In article ,
Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick
them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

PG Tips don't.

echinosum 28-07-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Funk[_3_] (Post 895615)
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

I think the best solution would be to buy something compostable. If enough people did this, they would stop.

It always surprises me in this famously tea-drinking country how incredibly few people seem to care very much about what they are drinking as tea. You come many people who know intricate details about wine or coffee, but very rarely tea. And yet tea is so cheap, when reckoned per cup, that spending quite a bit more on good tea still works out cheaper than ordinary coffee. Unfortunately an awful lot of what is sold as quality tea, eg famous brands, is some not-very-good stuff with fancy packaging. And yet teas, like wine, vary hugely from one provenance to another, and according to when in the year they were picked. And there are good years and bad years, just like wine (2009 was a disaster in India, for example, so there is very little good tea to be had just now. Hopefully in a few months things will pick up.) If just a few people took this interest, and tea had quality labelling systems like other things from cheese to pork pies, it could be so much better.

Bob Hobden 28-07-2010 04:42 PM

teabags in compost

Nick wrote ..
Roy Bailey wrote:
Ian B writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick
them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Quite agree, proper leaf tea used in a proper teapot tastes so much better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

kay 28-07-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian B[_2_] (Post 895621)

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Ian

Jacksons of Piccadilly were quoted as being fully degradable.

Christina Websell[_2_] 28-07-2010 09:29 PM

teabags in compost

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?
Tina

No Name 28-07-2010 11:31 PM

teabags in compost

Christina Websell wrote:
This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?

But what brand do you drink, Tina?

chris French 28-07-2010 11:51 PM

teabags in compost

In message ,
writes
In article ,
Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Not all do nowadays. A has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, some
bags now utilise a polypropylene mesh which doesn't rot down.
--
Chris French

[email protected] 29-07-2010 07:42 AM

teabags in compost

In article ,
chris French wrote:

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Not all do nowadays. A has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, some
bags now utilise a polypropylene mesh which doesn't rot down.

I stand corrected. That is disgraceful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

kay 29-07-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 895650)
Quite agree, proper leaf tea used in a proper teapot tastes so much better.

Tea bags in a teapot taste a lot better that tea bags in a cup.

Trouble is, I have to travel 10 miles to get Lapsang Suchong in leaf form.

Christina Websell[_2_] 29-07-2010 05:44 PM

teabags in compost

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?

But what brand do you drink, Tina?

Typhoo usually, does this make a difference? Of course not and I appreciate
your humour.