Old 28-07-2010, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default teabags in compost

According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.
Old 28-07-2010, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Ian

Old 28-07-2010, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:43:54 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Our tea bags go straight into the kitchen/food waste bin (as advised
by the Council)

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 28-07-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Ian B
writes

[snipped]

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 28-07-2010, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-07-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Roy Bailey wrote:
In article , Ian B
writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick
them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

PG Tips don't.

Old 28-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Funk[_3_] View Post
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".
I think the best solution would be to buy something compostable. If enough people did this, they would stop.

It always surprises me in this famously tea-drinking country how incredibly few people seem to care very much about what they are drinking as tea. You come many people who know intricate details about wine or coffee, but very rarely tea. And yet tea is so cheap, when reckoned per cup, that spending quite a bit more on good tea still works out cheaper than ordinary coffee. Unfortunately an awful lot of what is sold as quality tea, eg famous brands, is some not-very-good stuff with fancy packaging. And yet teas, like wine, vary hugely from one provenance to another, and according to when in the year they were picked. And there are good years and bad years, just like wine (2009 was a disaster in India, for example, so there is very little good tea to be had just now. Hopefully in a few months things will pick up.) If just a few people took this interest, and tea had quality labelling systems like other things from cheese to pork pies, it could be so much better.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick wrote ..
Roy Bailey wrote:
Ian B writes

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick
them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Quite agree, proper leaf tea used in a proper teapot tastes so much better.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-07-2010, 08:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B[_2_] View Post

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

Ian
Jacksons of Piccadilly were quoted as being fully degradable.
Old 28-07-2010, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam Funk" wrote in message
According to the latest issue of _Which?_, some of the main brands of
tea use polypropylene in the bags. The article says to "look out for
stitched bags with a tag (remove any staples before chucking them on
your compost heap)".

This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?
Tina

Old 28-07-2010, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?

But what brand do you drink, Tina?

Old 29-07-2010, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
chris French wrote:

You should use proper tea, not teabags! But teabags rot down easily
enough in a traditional heap.

Not all do nowadays. A has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, some
bags now utilise a polypropylene mesh which doesn't rot down.

I stand corrected. That is disgraceful.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:57 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Quite agree, proper leaf tea used in a proper teapot tastes so much better.
Tea bags in a teapot taste a lot better that tea bags in a cup.

Trouble is, I have to travel 10 miles to get Lapsang Suchong in leaf form.
Old 29-07-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
This explains why I sometimes find thinned down bags in the worm bin
output. Well, now I know to stop throwing them back in the top, which
is what I normally do with anything that isn't "fully digested" yet.

I don't see any reason to start removing staples, though --- I think
they rust away in the worm bin.

I don't have a worm bin but I do put my teabags on my compost heap where
they rot away very well. Might be due to the chicken poo that acts as an
accelerator?

But what brand do you drink, Tina?

Typhoo usually, does this make a difference? Of course not and I appreciate
your humour.

teabags OT sortof Kate Morgan United Kingdom 9 10-06-2009 02:07 PM
To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
blueberries and teabags Mervington United Kingdom 0 24-02-2007 12:58 PM
Teabags in compost? FF United Kingdom 66 08-08-2005 09:09 PM
Compost Teas, Compost, and On-farm Beneficial Microbe Extracts Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 04-10-2003 02:12 AM