Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jalapa mirabilis

This tropical plant is sometimes said to be an annual in the UK yet others
say it is a herbaceous perennial. So which is it, and has anyone grown it
and overwintered it successfully outside or does it have to be taken into a
frost free greenhouse.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-08-2010, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 22:51:19 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

This tropical plant is sometimes said to be an annual in the UK yet others
say it is a herbaceous perennial. So which is it, and has anyone grown it
and overwintered it successfully outside or does it have to be taken into a
frost free greenhouse.

I have grown it, but only as an annual. I'm told that it forms a
tuber like a dahlia but I've never managed to overwinter one. A
neighbour who used to grow it had it reappear one year in a very
sheltered position.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-08-2010, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
This tropical plant is sometimes said to be an annual in the UK yet others
say it is a herbaceous perennial. So which is it, and has anyone grown it
and overwintered it successfully outside or does it have to be taken into
a frost free greenhouse.

Had a couple for several years at base of a SW-facing wall. Also several in
pots have survived in a coldframe - even last winter. OK, I'm in the Sussex
weald, but it still got very cold here last winter for an extended time.

Mind you, haven't seen a flower now for a few years...

--

Jeff

Old 13-08-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote
This tropical plant is sometimes said to be an annual in the UK yet
others say it is a herbaceous perennial. So which is it, and has anyone
grown it and overwintered it successfully outside or does it have to be
taken into a frost free greenhouse.

Had a couple for several years at base of a SW-facing wall. Also several
in pots have survived in a coldframe - even last winter. OK, I'm in the
Sussex weald, but it still got very cold here last winter for an extended
time.

Mind you, haven't seen a flower now for a few years...

Thank you for your replies, still unsure if I should try it here but if I do
I'll plant it deep.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden