GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb in winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193466-rhubarb-winter.html)

Peter James[_2_] 30-08-2010 01:05 PM

Rhubarb in winter

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far

Bob Hobden 30-08-2010 02:09 PM

Rhubarb in winter

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

David P 30-08-2010 04:00 PM

Rhubarb in winter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:05:48 +0100, Peter James wrote:

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

In a word, Yes.

We used to grow around 40 acres of rhubarb that were then forced and sent
to the London markets.

They stayed in the fields 3 years untouched save as to manuring and
shoddying to build up the crowns. So for a crown that is to be left in
the ground and not exhausted a year should be fine.

--
David

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 30-08-2010 05:20 PM

Rhubarb in winter

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

--
Rusty

Bob Hobden 30-08-2010 06:21 PM

Rhubarb in winter

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

No.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

shazzbat 30-08-2010 06:32 PM

Rhubarb in winter

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

No.

Maybe.

Steve

Gordon H[_3_] 30-08-2010 07:43 PM

Rhubarb in winter

In message , Peter
James writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions. :)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Roger Tonkin 30-08-2010 07:44 PM

Rhubarb in winter

In article ,
says...

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Basically:

Yes

Bill Grey 30-08-2010 08:49 PM

Rhubarb in winter

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions. :)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Have you lost your way Gordon ??

Bill

Gordon H[_3_] 30-08-2010 10:32 PM

Rhubarb in winter

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions. :)
--
Gordon H

Have you lost your way Gordon ??
Bill

My GPS is playing up. :)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Gordon H[_3_] 31-08-2010 11:11 AM

Rhubarb in winter

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions. :)
--
Gordon H

Have you lost your way Gordon ??
Bill

My GPS is playing up. :)

I didn't know you read this group Bill, I dropped out some time ago as I
only grew Chantenay (SP?) carrots and salad leaves this year, not really
worth talking about except they are the most successful carrots I've
grown. I used containers and compost this time, which avoided the
miss-shapes and bifurcation.

Are you growing anything, except older? ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply