Old 30-08-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb in winter

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 30-08-2010, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-08-2010, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:05:48 +0100, Peter James wrote:

My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

In a word, Yes.

We used to grow around 40 acres of rhubarb that were then forced and sent
to the London markets.

They stayed in the fields 3 years untouched save as to manuring and
shoddying to build up the crowns. So for a crown that is to be left in
the ground and not exhausted a year should be fine.

--
David
Old 30-08-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

--
Rusty
Old 30-08-2010, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

No.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-08-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rusty Hinge" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:

"Peter James" wrote
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter? Do I leave it to die back naturally
and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Yes.

You pinched my answer.

No.

Maybe.

Steve

Old 30-08-2010, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter
James writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 30-08-2010, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Have you lost your way Gordon ??

Bill

Old 30-08-2010, 10:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions.
--
Gordon H

Have you lost your way Gordon ??
Bill

My GPS is playing up.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 31-08-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Peter James
writes
My first year rhubarb in my allotment is doing realy well. It's grown
very prolific leaves, and the stalks are very numerous.
What do I do with it this winter?
Do I leave it to die back naturally and just dump a load of compost on
the crowns as someone in the pub suggested?

Peter

Yes. Then go back to the pub for further discussions.
--
Gordon H

Have you lost your way Gordon ??
Bill

My GPS is playing up.

I didn't know you read this group Bill, I dropped out some time ago as I
only grew Chantenay (SP?) carrots and salad leaves this year, not really
worth talking about except they are the most successful carrots I've
grown. I used containers and compost this time, which avoided the
miss-shapes and bifurcation.

Are you growing anything, except older? ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply