Old 30-08-2010, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant or weed?

Can anybody tell me what this plant is:

http://sites.google.com/site/iansplants1/

I am not sure whether it's a weed or a plant - it hasn't flowered yet,
and want to pull it up if it's a weed before it flowers/seeds.

I did scatter some Aster seeds in the bed but it doesn't look like the
photos on the packet.

Thanks in advance,

Ian
Old 30-08-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Ian Waddell
wrote:

Can anybody tell me what this plant is:

http://sites.google.com/site/iansplants1/

I am not sure whether it's a weed or a plant - it hasn't flowered yet,
and want to pull it up if it's a weed before it flowers/seeds.

I did scatter some Aster seeds in the bed but it doesn't look like the
photos on the packet.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Looking at the pic, it could be a mutant aster but I'm wondering
whether it might be a form of euphorbia (though I can't remember
which, sorry). If it's the former, it will probably be killed off by
the frosts; if it's the latter (at least the one I'm thinking of) then
next year you'll have flowers on this year's stems (which you cut off
as the flowers go over) and it'll produce new stems that flower the
year after.

Either way, I'd leave it in and see what happens. If it flowers you
might be better able to identify it and can always chop the flower
heads off before they seed.

A weed is, after all, only a plant growing in the wrong place. A
neighbour has a prize dandelion patch - he chops the flower stems off
pronto (or bags over a few heads to collect seed) but grows the leaves
to feed his tortoise.
Old 30-08-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian Waddell" wrote in message
Can anybody tell me what this plant is:

http://sites.google.com/site/iansplants1/

I am not sure whether it's a weed or a plant - it hasn't flowered yet,
and want to pull it up if it's a weed before it flowers/seeds.

I did scatter some Aster seeds in the bed but it doesn't look like the
photos on the packet.

Thanks in advance,

I'm not going to tell you whether it is a plant or a weed. We make our own
ideas about that.

Old 30-08-2010, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
wrote:

Can anybody tell me what this plant is:

http://sites.google.com/site/iansplants1/

I am not sure whether it's a weed or a plant - it hasn't flowered yet,
and want to pull it up if it's a weed before it flowers/seeds.

I did scatter some Aster seeds in the bed but it doesn't look like the
photos on the packet.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Looking at the pic, it could be a mutant aster but I'm wondering
whether it might be a form of euphorbia (though I can't remember
which, sorry). If it's the former, it will probably be killed off by
the frosts; if it's the latter (at least the one I'm thinking of) then
next year you'll have flowers on this year's stems (which you cut off
as the flowers go over) and it'll produce new stems that flower the
year after.

I'm pretty sure it's not a Euphorbia.

Aster's aren't necessarily killed off by the frosts - "true" Asters
(Aster) are hardy, as are Stoke's aster (Stokesia), but Mexican
(Tithonia) and Chinese asters (Callistephus) are annuals. I think that
photograph represents a Callistephus.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley