GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tea bags that rot down in compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/193650-tea-bags-rot-down-compost.html)

Mike Lyle 26-09-2010 10:24 PM

Tea bags that rot down in compost

wrote:
In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

We had an Osocool at the chalet in East Mersea. Better than nothing,
but not a patch on an eclectic refrigerator.

Or even a gas one.

A very well-kitted neighbour had a thermosyphon one which ran on
paraffin.

Those were a right pain in the arse. The slightest problem and they
kept their contents warm rather than cold.

In Sa'udi I briefly stayed with a German survey crew who had one: every
time they pitched a new camp, it had to be turned upside-down before it
would behave. I didn't have one at all, which was fine: no fresh milk,
and no meat which hadn't been alive a couple of hours before.

--
Mike.

kay 26-09-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] (Post 901385)

We had an Osocool at the chalet in East Mersea. Better than nothing, but
not a patch on an eclectic refrigerator.

East Mersea? My Resident Oligochaetologist used to spend his summer holidays in a beach hut at East Mersea during the 1950s/60s, and pottering around in a dinghy on the Blackwater estuary.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:12 PM

Tea bags that rot down in compost

wrote:
In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

A very well-kitted neighbour had a thermosyphon one which ran on paraffin.

Those were a right pain in the arse. The slightest problem and they
kept their contents warm rather than cold.

Sure it wasn't a paraffin-powered microwave?

Cut above the rest, they we we all had Elsans behind the chalets,
they had Rome.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:16 PM

Tea bags that rot down in compost

Mike Lyle wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
We had an Osocool at the chalet in East Mersea. Better than nothing,
but not a patch on an eclectic refrigerator.

Or even a gas one.

A very well-kitted neighbour had a thermosyphon one which ran on
paraffin.

Those were a right pain in the arse. The slightest problem and they
kept their contents warm rather than cold.

In Sa'udi I briefly stayed with a German survey crew who had one: every
time they pitched a new camp, it had to be turned upside-down before it
would behave. I didn't have one at all, which was fine: no fresh milk,
and no meat which hadn't been alive a couple of hours before.

My bro', a naccountant, went to Sudan to audit something-or-other.

He and his mates hfrq to ohl bustard eggs - BUSTARD, I said, Frank - in
the market. You knocked on them, and if they knocked back, you didn't
ohl them.

You ohled two which didn't knock, in the hope that one of them wasn't
occupied by a nembryo.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:17 PM

Mike Lyle wrote:

In Sa'udi I briefly stayed with a German survey crew who had one: every
time they pitched a new camp, it had to be turned upside-down before it
would behave. I didn't have one at all, which was fine: no fresh milk,
and no meat which hadn't been alive a couple of hours before.

Oops! Sorry Urglers - I've just popped in from the Shed innit.

--
Rusty

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 27-09-2010 05:24 PM

Tea bags that rot down in compost

kay wrote:
'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;901385']

We had an Osocool at the chalet in East Mersea. Better than nothing, but

not a patch on an eclectic refrigerator.

East Mersea? My Resident Oligochaetologist used to spend his summer
holidays in a beach hut at East Mersea during the 1950s/60s, and
pottering around in a dinghy on the Blackwater estuary.

Might have known same, then. Almost certainly Cooper's Beach (No chalets
left there now, all caravans)

I used to spend my time there in a similar manner, with some archaeology
on the side, and some wildfowling in the winter.

I think oligochaetology was Baby Grumplin's thang.

--
Rusty

kay 27-09-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] (Post 901447)

Might have known same, then. Almost certainly Cooper's Beach (No chalets
left there now, all caravans)

I used to spend my time there in a similar manner, with some archaeology
on the side, and some wildfowling in the winter.

I think oligochaetology was Baby Grumplin's thang.

I got my directions wrong. He was West Mersea, a mile of mud away. Have a vague recollection from a previous conversation that you might both have been at the same school, but at different times. So despite bumping into each other elsewhere on usenet, it looks like the two of you haven't met in RL.

Rusty Hinge[_2_] 28-09-2010 06:31 PM

Tea bags that rot down in compost

kay wrote:
'Rusty Hinge[_2_ Wrote:
;901447']

Might have known same, then. Almost certainly Cooper's Beach (No chalets

left there now, all caravans)

I used to spend my time there in a similar manner, with some archaeology

on the side, and some wildfowling in the winter.

I think oligochaetology was Baby Grumplin's thang.

I got my directions wrong. He was West Mersea, a mile of mud away. Have
a vague recollection from a previous conversation that you might both
have been at the same school, but at different times. So despite bumping
into each other elsewhere on usenet, it looks like the two of you
haven't met in RL.

Wot Skool?

Mrs. Murphy's?
Ashampstead?
Arnold House?
Brentwood?
Frinton Prep?
Wanstead County High?

--
Rusty

kay 29-09-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge[_2_] (Post 901533)

Wot Skool?

Brentwood?

Y e s