Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tea bags that rot down in compost

I've just spread the contents of the compost bin on my vegetable garden
and find that the Typhoo tea bags that were put into the compost haven't
rotted down.
Can anyone recommend a tea bag that will rot down in the compost.
Typhoo tea bags seem to leave a fine plastic net behind them.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message m, Peter
James wrote
I've just spread the contents of the compost bin on my vegetable garden
and find that the Typhoo tea bags that were put into the compost haven't
rotted down.
Can anyone recommend a tea bag that will rot down in the compost.
Typhoo tea bags seem to leave a fine plastic net behind them.

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

--
Alan
Old 10-09-2010, 10:05 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James[_2_] View Post
I've just spread the contents of the compost bin on my vegetable garden
and find that the Typhoo tea bags that were put into the compost haven't
rotted down.
Can anyone recommend a tea bag that will rot down in the compost.
Typhoo tea bags seem to leave a fine plastic net behind them.
See if you can do a google groups search. We covered this topic very fully only a month or so back. Twinings Lapsang bags are OK.
__________________
Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.
Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 Timothy Murphy wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.

Do they??? Then I must be uncivilised since I make my tea in an
old-fashioned teapot! A Bodum indeed! I know no-one who does such a
thing! Coffee yes, tea no.

Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

I've never had problems finding loose leaf tea. I don't drink coffee so
I would be severely deprived if I couldn't find loose leaf tea.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:

In message m, Peter
James wrote
I've just spread the contents of the compost bin on my vegetable garden
and find that the Typhoo tea bags that were put into the compost haven't
rotted down.
Can anyone recommend a tea bag that will rot down in the compost.
Typhoo tea bags seem to leave a fine plastic net behind them.

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

Indeed I do. But the ability to rot down in the compost is a plus
factor.

Peter
Old 10-09-2010, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.
Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

I have a couple of Bodum coffee infusers, now you have me wondering
whether they could be used for tea...

However, I would be reluctant to give up the taste and convenience of PG
Tips pyramid teabags...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-09-2010, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
wrote

However, I would be reluctant to give up the taste and convenience of
PG Tips pyramid teabags...

I was brought up on the tea that only chimps now drink . I've since
discovered that there are a lot better teas out there - and available
from supermarkets in bags.

--
Alan
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 Timothy Murphy wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.

Do they??? Then I must be uncivilised since I make my tea in an
old-fashioned teapot! A Bodum indeed! I know no-one who does such a
thing! Coffee yes, tea no.

I have to agree. I dismantled a perfectly good tea bag today and used
the contents in one of my Bodums to make tea at lunch time.
Despite great care, it produced a weak imitation of the usual 2 strong
cups of tea from the same tea bag.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 10-09-2010, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass
infusers.
Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets

Ooh, get you!
I drink Typhoo in tea bags in a mug! and they rot down fine in my compost
heap when they come in contact with chicken poo.
Tina

Tina

Old 10-09-2010, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I split ours open before adding to the wormery, our worms seem to love
them.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass
infusers.
Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets

Ooh, get you!
I drink Typhoo in tea bags in a mug! and they rot down fine in my compost
heap when they come in contact with chicken poo.
Tina

Tina

Well, mine don't. I spread the contents of my compost bin on my
allotment on Thursday, and was dismayed to find that there were
thousands of Typhoo tea bags on the surface, the contents rotted down,
the outer bags present.
They had been in the compost for up to 1 year.
So the seach for a tea bag that provides a good cup of tea, and rots
down continues.

Peter

Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1jonket.1k2lc872yuqa6N%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...

Alan wrote:

[...]

Ah, but no chicken poo in the compost?
No wonder it doesn't rot g
No teabags refuse to rot in my compost heap.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Alan wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag
they put it in?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...biodegradeable

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass
infusers. Better for the palate and better for the garden.
Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

Bodum glass infusers? Preposterous continonckalry! When it's just me, I
use a traditional cheap and lovable little brown teapot: I'm a lazy
bloke, but I enjoy the little ritual. Tea bags won't do for me, as I
take neither sugar nor milk, so I want it too weak for most people.
Tesco's Finest leaf tea is pretty good, by the way.

--
Mike.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Sep, 14:39, David Rance wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 *Timothy Murphy wrote:

Surely you buy tea based on the quality of the tea and not the bag they
put it in?

I think most civilised people drink loose leaf tea in Bodum glass infusers.

Do they??? Then I must be uncivilised since I make my tea in an
old-fashioned teapot! A Bodum indeed! I know no-one who does such a
thing! Coffee yes, tea no.

Sadly it is becoming steadily more difficult to find loose leaf tea
in supermarkets.

I've never had problems finding loose leaf tea. I don't drink coffee so
I would be severely deprived if I couldn't find loose leaf tea.

David

--
David Rance * * * *writing from Caversham, Reading, UKhttp://rance.org.uk

I too use a clay teapot. I went to a Pakistani supermarket the other
day and bout 3Kg of loose leaf Indian tea (Premier grade). It is a
nice tea and cheap for the quality. Furthermore, there are no
problems with composting.

How do you get pond plants to rot down on the compost heap Jq Roberts Gardening 5 15-08-2013 05:18 AM
compost "tea bags" Peter[_4_] Australia 5 11-09-2007 03:40 PM
rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ? Martin United Kingdom 112 28-03-2004 03:55 AM
Tea Leaves Down Sink Or Compost / Garden ? Martin United Kingdom 3 22-03-2004 06:59 PM