Old 14-10-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Stihl garden power tools ?

In message , mark
writes

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
. ..
Getting just a little fed up with cheaper garden tools - Wife's *second*
Bosch cordless hedge trimmer packed up today - only a couple of years old
:-(

Looking at Stihl/Viking. Silly prices but are they worth it ?

TIA.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

We had a similar problem until recently only with Bosch corded
hedge-cutters. I wouldn't consider going cordless for anything more than a
bay tree in a pot.

She was looking for Stihl hedgecutters that could angle and so trim the top
of the hedge. I nearly choked on my cocoa when she told me how
much....£600+. Now the main disadvantage of going petrol is the weight, she
won't cope for long and I'd end up with the job :-(

The solution was to buy a top of range Bosch electric, 700w and 700mm blade.
This cost online £104 and to solve the problem of hedge tops an articulating
ladder was purchased from Screwfix for £77. This folds to make a platform
about 3ft high.

mark

When it comes to power tools you get what you pay for. My son who is "in
the trade" swears by Stihl and wouldn't touch Bosch with the proverbial
barge pole.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 14-10-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Oct, 20:35, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:40:20 -0700 (PDT), Rod wrote:
Modern petrol hedge cutters tick over nicely with the blades
stationary. Don't be tempted by yard long cutters, they are badly
balanced & too heavy (for me anyway)
60cm is plenty - you have more dexterity and work almost as quickly
and a lot easier.

Agreed there - I'm looking for no more than 60cm. I've decided on Stihl and
thought I'd decided on a cordless. From what you say I guess I'll put
petrol back on my list. Won't be buying until next spring so plenty of time
to check on things :-)

Thanks Rod.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Ignore the prices in the brochure, shop around some good discounts are
available.

Rod