Old 23-11-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Water Lilies

Can anyone tell me the best time to remove an overgown waterlily frpm the
pond.
There are some fish in the pond , although they don't get much protection
from
water lilies in the winter. I thought if it was out, they may have more
depth to
shelter from the cold.

Old 23-11-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ann Lancing" wrote ...

Can anyone tell me the best time to remove an overgown waterlily frpm the
pond.
There are some fish in the pond , although they don't get much protection
from
water lilies in the winter. I thought if it was out, they may have more
depth to
shelter from the cold.

If you are going to remove it and throw it away any time is OK. If you want
to split it up and repot it then all water plants are best repotted when in
growth, unlike most garden plants, so now is the wrong time. Spring is best.
If the fish have nowhere to hide then place a clay flowerpot, with it's
bottom cut off, on it's side at the bottom of the pond.
Or anchor a floating sheet of polystyrene**, covered in black plastic, which
will also help keep some heat in the water and also help stop any damage
caused by freezing.
**available at builders yards.(wash it first)
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-11-2010, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your advice. I'll wait until the water is a bit warmer!

Ann

"Ann Lancing" wrote ...