Old 28-11-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Canna plants

In the summer I asked about growing canna from seed. With advice from
the group I ended up with about 10 plantlets. They are now 6 - 9
inches high. I have them on a bedroom window ledge (no greenhouse).
I've kept them only just damp. All are now brown and crispy.
I've never grown canna before, and am not sure what to do. Do the
brown leaves indicate death or is that what happens to canna in
winter?
Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-11-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2010 22:38, Pam Moore wrote:
In the summer I asked about growing canna from seed. With advice from
the group I ended up with about 10 plantlets. They are now 6 - 9
inches high. I have them on a bedroom window ledge (no greenhouse).
I've kept them only just damp. All are now brown and crispy.
I've never grown canna before, and am not sure what to do. Do the
brown leaves indicate death or is that what happens to canna in
winter?
Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Die back in winter is normal.

Dunno about seedlings, but for mature plants if you can keep them just
about frost free and insulated in dry peat over the winter they usually
survive OK. The top growth is long gone but they come back from the
tubers. Too warm and they will likely desiccate over the winter.

Same applies to growing ginger.

Reminds me I have a few still outside under 5" of snow and last night
got down to -7C which probably wasn't good for them.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 29-11-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
In the summer I asked about growing canna from seed. With advice from
the group I ended up with about 10 plantlets. They are now 6 - 9
inches high. I have them on a bedroom window ledge (no greenhouse).
I've kept them only just damp. All are now brown and crispy.
I've never grown canna before, and am not sure what to do. Do the
brown leaves indicate death or is that what happens to canna in
winter?
Advice will be greatly appreciated.

I recently put my Cannas in an unheated greenhouse and they are all in full
leaf and one has just flowered.

mark

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 08:27 PM
Canna Tropicanna question(s) tom Gardening 1 08-02-2003 02:06 AM
Canna 4 Sale Starlord Gardening 2 06-02-2003 03:49 PM
New Canna for Spring Starlord Gardening 0 28-01-2003 04:23 PM
Canna Starlord Gardening 0 26-01-2003 05:52 AM