Old 01-01-2011, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Happy New Year everyone

Happy New Year everyone from an overcast South Wales.
Once again the people of Britain will be suffering as they won't be
able to go to Tesco etc for a period of around 28 hours.
When I niped into Tesco for bread and milk yesterday there were people
with their trolleys loaded with enough food to last us a month or so,
I wonder how much of it will be thrown away.
I did come out with 4 loaves of bread when I wanted 1 for myself, the
other 3 were 10p each and will go for bird food.
Despite the influx of some foreign starlings to our feathered family
we are not going through as much bird food as last year, this is due
to the majority of the sparrows having moved away, possibly to warmer
climes, we still have 30 or 40, the good thing is that the Long Tailed
Tits are still with us though they have changed their feeding habits,
they used to feed with us middle to late afternoon, but the last few
weeks they are coming in in the morning instead.
Loads of Blue Tits and most of our other birds still with us.
The last few days with this mild spell the birds have been singing and
making it feel like an early Spring.
Have a great New Year folks
David Hill