Old 28-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Registered User

Location: UK Midlands

[quote=sweetheart;913870a) there are no frogs in the pond. I have looked
b) there is no spawn in the pond
c) normal activity at this time of year would give me sight of frogs in the
pond ( the pond is outside the sitting room window so I do have a good view
much of the day
d) I know of a frog ( or more) in the greenhouse down the bottom of the
garden around 300 yards away from the pond. I have disturbed him/ her/ them
(if more than one) two or three times clearing things up there. Done this
several times in the last few weeks.
e) I know of a second frog in the waste land at the bottom of the garden -
maybe the same frog. I would like to hope there are two. They do appear to
be different sizes.

So all in all I am well placed to say my frogs are not in the pond. Maybe
not 24 hour surveillance but close. The sad fact is I have lost my frogs
and its because I didn't take care of them. I didn't get rid of the
predators when I saw them in the first instance. I hope others will take
more care.

[/QUOTE]
Don't beat yourself up! It may or may not be due to something you have done/nor done. You cannot endlessly protect wild creatures from natural predators. It has been a hard winter and hibernating creatures are sure to have suffered regardless of your actions. In any case, I think it's still a bit early for frogspawn, they'll wait for a better mild spell than we've had so far. I have seen a bit of turbulence in my pond which indicates they are waking up, though.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
I seem to have lost all my frogs ( as in none have come to the pool this
year). Three years ago I had a colony of at least 30. Then I lost a whole
load of spawn eaten by bloody dragon fly larvae which I had not realized
were there. I know some people like dragon flies but I prefer frogs. So I
cleared the pond but the following year it was a hard winter and again I
lost frogs and spawn . This year, nothing.

I know I have a frog ( or two) around the garden . Last saw one a few weeks
ago by my greenhouse. But nothing in the pond. I also checked the pond and I
don't even seem to have any newts. I had a few of those to.

Is this the end then? Is there anything I can do to get frogs to come?
frogs start to come out of hibernation in febuary and march and start making their way too there breeding grounds so dont worry there is still time for you to get your frogs back
the males will arrive first and then attract the female frogs can spawn as late a april they do in my pond every year
theres alot of factors into what could happen to your frogs though out the year roads around here kill alot of the frogs,heron, magpies i have even seen adult frogs take baby frogs.
it may even be pollution or just they have had their time (old age)

i wouldnt worry to much it still early in the year

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
Frogs b gone Ponds (alternative) 8 26-02-2004 12:58 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
Where have all the earthworms gone???? J. Morrow Australia 9 28-04-2003 02:08 AM