Old 15-03-2011, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another Query...this time about compost.

I have 2 compost boxes, wooden pallet type that flags are stacked in. I
normally cover them both with an old carpet, but I'm running out of old
carpet... I have the one that's cooking covered with carpet, but don't have
enough for the one in use. What do you all do with yours?

And.......why don't I see a procession of tiger worms making their way to
them? (lol)

Old 15-03-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
sheila wrote:

I have 2 compost boxes, wooden pallet type that flags are stacked in. I
normally cover them both with an old carpet, but I'm running out of old
carpet... I have the one that's cooking covered with carpet, but don't have
enough for the one in use. What do you all do with yours?

Just leave them open. Covering them isn't necessary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I have 2 compost boxes, wooden pallet type that flags are stacked in. I
normally cover them both with an old carpet, but I'm running out of old
carpet... I have the one that's cooking covered with carpet, but don't
have
enough for the one in use. What do you all do with yours?

Mine have a frame lid (also made with old pallets) with HD plastic
stapled on top. The lids are rain-proof but still light enough to slide or
lift.

And.......why don't I see a procession of tiger worms making their way to
them? (lol)

They travel on the Underground and will be down the bottom of the heap
in this cold winter, hugging hot water bottles. If you have never seen
any when you empty the bins, buy yourself a cupful from a fishing bait
shop and toss them in.. you'll only ever have to do it once.

Many people set their newsreader to only download post headers , then
just open the ones that catch their interest. So when you post questions
it's a good idea to use a header/title that shows what the post is about;
such as "compost lids and tiger worms"..rather than "another query" etc.

Janet.

Thanks for that both of you. I have plenty of worms in my bins, I just
wonder how they get there!

Old 15-03-2011, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sheila" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

[...]

If the bins are bottomless and rest on the ground the worms will find it a
lovely home to be in!

Alan