Old 30-03-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A strange Spring

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

Janet
Old 30-03-2011, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.
Old 30-03-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-03-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

In what way would you say I was being paranoid, Mike?

Old 30-03-2011, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

In what way would you say I was being paranoid, Mike?

Please post where I have said you are being paranoid.

Kindest regards

Old 31-03-2011, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.
Why would I not?
animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.

It was a serious question.

It was a serious answer.

Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

Raspberry jelly doesn't taste of calf either.

I didn't say it did. I have no problem with the taste of meat.

I think, Janet, we have covered this ground before. You don't "get"
vegetarianism, I have no intention of trying to "convert" you, therefore
there is little point wasting the time retreading the same ground. There
are many reasons I do it, but mostly it comes down to "because it seems like
the right thing for me to do". I'm sure I should be flattered that you are
showing an interest in my diet, but after 24 years of it I mostly just find
it a tiresome bore when people demand I explain my reasoning to them.
Old 31-03-2011, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.
Why would I not?
animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?
But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.

It was a serious question.

It was a serious answer.

Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

Raspberry jelly doesn't taste of calf either.

I didn't say it did. I have no problem with the taste of meat.

You made the joke about flavours, I responded in kind.

I think, Janet, we have covered this ground before. You don't "get"
vegetarianism,

Of course I do. I can perfectly understand and respect why for health
or conscience reasons some people won't consume any farmed animal products
at all. I am less clear on the health/conscience rationale of why one
highly processed animal fat/protein from the production line of dairy
farming is acceptable but another is not.

I have no intention of trying to "convert" you, therefore
there is little point wasting the time retreading the same ground. There
are many reasons I do it, but mostly it comes down to "because it seems like
the right thing for me to do". I'm sure I should be flattered that you are
showing an interest in my diet, but after 24 years of it I mostly just find
it a tiresome bore when people demand I explain my reasoning to them.

I made no "demand", I just said I was quite curious. Then you asked me
a question and I responded.

Janet.

Old 31-03-2011, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
[...]

One of my daughters 'went veggy' as a protest against factory farming. Made
it difficult at home, but your family are family. Then she was out one day
with her friends, one of which was tucking in to a Ham Roll. Daughter was
hungry. "Veggie" went out of the window. 'My going Veggie didn't stop
factory farming and I was suffering and depriving myself'

That was why I ask why people are "veggie". Very VERY few are veggie for
health reasons. Yes I know there are some, don't forget I am dealing with
people ALL the time, many on ex Service reunions which require 'feeding' and
special diets have to be provided.

Old 31-03-2011, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 31 Mar 2011 08:42:10 GMT, wrote:

Janet wrote:
[...]

Worth noting, though, that ice cream can contain gelatin as a
stabilizer; but I think the vegetable ones such as agar-agar are more
usual.

As it happens, I bought some agar powder in a Chinese shop yesterday,
so as to have it on hand for experiments when the ice-cream season
opens.

--
Mike.

Old 31-03-2011, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
Worth noting, though, that ice cream can contain gelatin as a
stabilizer; but I think the vegetable ones such as agar-agar are more
usual.

I have heard of it, but rarely encountered it. Occasionally in ice-lolly
encased ice-creams, but never in actual stand alone ice-cream. But then, I
also am a terrible ice-cream snob and tend to stick with the premium brand
stuff.

As it happens, I bought some agar powder in a Chinese shop yesterday,
so as to have it on hand for experiments when the ice-cream season
opens.

Let us know how it goes. Althoguh probably over there ---- not on here.
:-)