Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-03-2011, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default aerating compacted soil for grass

The small garden has a very muddy, almost barren strip down the middle
from getting my bike in & out of the shed over the winter. The soil
is fairly compacted & seems to have quite a bit of clay underneath. I
want to grow some grass really well this year so it lasts a bit better
over next winter, and I think aerating or otherwise "uncompacting" the
soil may help the seed grow instead of just feeding the birds. But
it's a small garden so I don't want to buy & store a big piece of
rotivating equipment.

Suggestions, comments?

Has anyone tried those spiked sandals, for example? (The idea makes
sense, but I've heard that they are bunk.)