Old 13-04-2011, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default It's Finally Up!

Forgive me for my excitement...
I've waited years for this moment......I finally have my own greenhouse!
In previous years I've had fantastic success in growing salad veg
(particularly cherry toms) on a south-facing trellis in a west-facing garden
and out-of-doors. Having moved house the summer before last to a property
with an east-facing garden and limited growing space I was feeling extremely
upset by the fact that I was unable to grow my usual summer stock of salad
veg. However, we have since demolished (a bit drastic a word, but true,
nevertheless) a huge part of the outside space (shed, air-raid shelter etc)
to provide a wonderful area in which we've had a gorgeous new patio built,
but more importantly - have had an area created especially for my new
greenhouse (and my husband's big shed).
We are lucky enough that the house is built on a double plot, so that
although the main garden is east-facing, there is a large part of the
garden, to the side of the house, which gets the sun more often and is a
superb siting for the greenhouse.

I was so excited when the greenhouse was finally erected that I spent a good
few minutes yesterday just watching the autovent opening and closing!

I attempted my tomatoes last year, but the yeild was poor as I didn't have
the space to site them suitably, but now I can get stuck in and get working.
I can't wait. Wish me luck everyone!

Jo
Leigh-on-Sea
Essex

Old 13-04-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:53:19 +0100, "Jo" wrote:

Forgive me for my excitement...

Nothing to forgive, a magic moment, (and now shared!)

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 14-04-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 13, 9:53*pm, "Jo" wrote:
[...]

Get yourself a thermostatic/automatic roof vent opener. Save a lot of
disappointment.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
harry writes
On Apr 13, 9:53*pm, "Jo" wrote:

I was so excited when the greenhouse was finally erected that I spent a good
few minutes yesterday just watching the autovent opening and closing!

Get yourself a thermostatic/automatic roof vent opener. Save a lot of
disappointment.

Think she beat you too it :-)
--
Chris French

Old 17-04-2011, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jo" wrote in
o.uk:

[...]

You are going to have a lovely experience pottering around and ultimatly
having some quality toms etc. on the table. (and more than you can eat)
I wish you luck but it sounds like you don't need it with your enthusiasm.

A big shed is what I have and I'm lucky to have one. We have tried thinking
of a greenhouse but money and space are very limited but eventually it WILL
happen, we just need to agree on where it's going to be. My patch or hers.
We are always discussing the matter and I am comming round to the idea that
it will benefit us all here, at home if it is to be on my bit of garden we
will have to share 50/50, flowers and shrubs(yuk) and my veg, after all it
will be stealing my bit.

Very best luck.
Baz