Old 20-04-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering a lemon tree

I was given a lemon tree last year and brought it into the house over
winter.
It shed a lot of leaves, probably due to the central heating and lack of
watering.
The instructions said that for every tree that was watered correctly 200
die from overwatering, so I only watered it once.
How can I care for it during the coming winter. I don't have a
greenhouse but do have a very cold garage.
Thanks
Old 20-04-2011, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 20, 7:12*pm, "Graham K." wrote:
I was given a lemon tree last year and brought it into the house over
winter.
It shed a lot of leaves, probably due to the central heating and lack of
watering.
The instructions said that for every tree that was watered correctly 200
die from overwatering, so I only watered it once.
How can I care for it during the coming winter. I don't have a
greenhouse but do have a very cold garage.
Thanks

First get it through the summer.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 20, 7:12=A0pm, "Graham K." wrote:
I was given a lemon tree last year and brought it into the house over
winter.
It shed a lot of leaves, probably due to the central heating and lack of
watering.
The instructions said that for every tree that was watered correctly 200
die from overwatering, so I only watered it once.
How can I care for it during the coming winter. I don't have a
greenhouse but do have a very cold garage.
Thanks

First get it through the summer.

Well, yes. But citrus plants are NOT the arid terrain ones that
are often claimed, and need regular watering - I was careless,
and caused my kaffir lime to lose all its leaves, but it has
recovered. Compare that with Strelitzia, which IS adapted to
drought.

Provided that the soil in the pot is very free-draining, then
watering once a week or so is a good idea. I use my garden
soil (which is 60% sand) mixed half-and-half with compost
from my heap. In heavier soils, the mixture should have
quite a lot of sand in it.

Soilless composts work OK until they start to break down,
when serious problems can ensue.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.