Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered User

Question Giant Dandelion?

So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about 2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the north-west of england if that helps?
Attached Thumbnails
Giant Dandelion?-godzilla.jpg   Giant Dandelion?-godzilla2.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiskaskaska View Post
So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about 2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the north-west of england if that helps?
There are a fair number of Dandelion like seed heads on tall plants with Dandelion like leaves. Possibly this is Goat's Beard. Cannot remember the proper name for it.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Giant Dandelion?

Jessiskaskaska wrote:
So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I
can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about
2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the
other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its
about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the north-west
of england if that helps?

You know, it may be the red wine talking, but my initial reaction is "bloody
hell, I'm not going to the NW of England on Saturday as planned!". But you
did make me smile. :-)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
There are a fair number of Dandelion like seed heads on tall plants with Dandelion like leaves. Possibly this is Goat's Beard. Cannot remember the proper name for it.
Sow thistle, Sonchus oleraceus or Sonchus asper. Goatsbeard has linear leaves (it's Tragapogon pratensis, a close relative of salsify, T porrifolius).
__________________
Old 12-05-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Owdboggy
writes

Jessiskaskaska;921099 Wrote:
So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I
can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about
2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the
other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its
about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the north-west
of england if that helps?

There are a fair number of Dandelion like seed heads on tall plants with
Dandelion like leaves. Possibly this is Goat's Beard. Cannot remember
the proper name for it.

Goatsbeard is Tragopogon pratensis. This is not goatsbeard, which has a
couple of distinctive points - the rather grass-like leaves, and the
involucral bracts exceeding the capitulum. (Salsify (Tragopogon
porrifolius) is rather similar to goatsbeard, but has purple flowers.)

The whole group of plants is the tribe Cichorieae or Lactucae. Prickly
lettuce, wall lettuce and nipplewort can get quite big, but have small
flower heads. Catsear can have tall stems, but only has a rosette of
leaves. Plants more similar to the photograph include hawksbeards and
hawkweeds, as well as the sow thistles.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jessiskaskaska" wrote in
message ...

So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I
can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about
2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the
other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its
about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the north-west
of england if that helps?

--
Jessiskaskaska

The plant's a Sow Thistle, but I can't admiring your lovely old brick walls
(which is likely the reason its has grown larger than normal- warmth and
shelter)

Old 13-05-2011, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jessiskaskaska
writes
So, I went into my garden about half an hour ago and came across what I
can only describe as a Giant Dandelion... it has a dandelion head about
2cm across, and large dandelion leaves... the difference to all of the
other ones I've seen is that it has a stalk over a metre high that its
about 2cm thick. Can anyone tell me what it is? I live in the
north-west of england if that helps?

On the subject of giant dandelions, I saw a genuine dandelion today,
with 15 inch longer or bigger leaves, and a 30 inch flower stalk.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley